1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to identify this wooden box, which is similar to a Cal .50 ammo box (also shown) but has partitions and originally a tray to hold spares, parts or accessories.
Can anyone point me to a reference, provide a nomenclature that I can research or give any other advice?
Thanks in advance Wood Rectangle Wall Wood stain Hardwood
Blue Rectangle Wood Fixture Door

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jmann used to have some good pics posted here of his armorers chest with tray and most parts.
I can't find them now. They should still be here somewhere.
A picture and parts list can be found in the Colt Automatic Machine Guns and Rifles book that is available as a reprint.
I have one like yours, missing the tray.
That wooden ammo box is one of two types and is larger than the parts box, the other ammo box is not designed to be fired while closed and is the same size as the armorers chest.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well crap, I would have upgraded my box for that one in a heartbeat.
I can't find the ended auction, do you have a link or a title?
I'm always missing these auctions, I need better search skills!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Dave, thanks for the reference, I ordered it on eBay today! Above is the link for the auction where I won the box.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
WOW...!! One guy bid 23-times for this box and there were 27-bids with only three bidders. Since the .50 BMG was first adapted by the military in 1921 as a water-cooled gun,the leather funnel shown in the photo is appropriate.
Had 15-.50 cal. ammo box's made from an original and would like to reproduce this particular parts box for our .50 BMG shooters/collecxtors. PM to Taber10 incoming...

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts
I was one of the bidders on it but I got sidetracked on a project for Dolf. My buddy has an original with most of the contents in mint condition and I will say that the top tray is not a five minute job to make.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts