1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if it is belled I can know that it is a USGI .30-06 and if there is no bell I can be assured it is a Israeli link that will work for .30-06, .308 and 7.62X54r?

·
Registered
215 Posts
So if it is belled I can know that it is a USGI .30-06 and if there is no bell I can be assured it is a Israeli link that will work for .30-06, .308 and 7.62X54r?
A less obvious difference is center line 06 is .531 08 .562. J,R.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Can we have this made a sticky???

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
USGI Cal .30 links are marked M1 along with the manufacturer's code and a number or letter identifying the die or machine slide position that made the link. The most common ones seen today are marked M1 WM (Wells Marine) with a number, these came from de-linked ammo sold by the CMP or ammo "de-milled" by Talon. They are from late 60's/70's LC produced ammunition.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Here are some of the photos I have taken or collected to show the differences in links. I have stolen shamelessly from other posts with the link data drawings. Last photo shows the MK II 303 link on the right and the 30 cal M1 link on the left. Not all "M1" links are marked. there were a number of foreign makers. the "DAQ" marked ones are 30 cal from Dominion Arsenal in Canada. I had /have thousands of these as they came on M1909 blanks we bought back in the dark ages. These were a hoot to fire in an enclosed garage with the lights out. These have been passed of by some as the 303 links, but they will not work. There are unmarked, glossy, gray/green ones that are from sealed tins, 120 rd belts of Korean ammo.
This should all be collected up and placed in a sticky - we go through this on one board or another just about once a month. I know other guys have a lot of additional info.

Ammunition Gun accessory Electronic component Ammunition belt Metal Text Font Line Document Design Text Line Font Monochrome Parallel Text Font Line Parallel Monochrome Text Font Line Parallel Monochrome Auto part Plastic Games Metal Rectangle

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Here are some of the photos I have taken or collected to show the differences in links. I have stolen shamelessly from other posts with the link data drawings. Last photo shows the MK II 303 link on the right and the 30 cal M1 link on the left. Not all "M1" links are marked. there were a number of foreign makers. the "DAQ" marked ones are 30 cal from Dominion Arsenal in Canada. I had /have thousands of these as they came on M1909 blanks we bought back in the dark ages. These were a hoot to fire in an enclosed garage with the lights out. These have been passed of by some as the 303 links, but they will not work. There are unmarked, glossy, gray/green ones that are from sealed tins, 120 rd belts of Korean ammo.
This should all be collected up and placed in a sticky - we go through this on one board or another just about once a month. I know other guys have a lot of additional info.

View attachment 13614 View attachment 13615 View attachment 13616 View attachment 13617 View attachment 13618 View attachment 13619

If you go to m1919tech.com belts and links tab there is considerable info on this subject. DAQ is indeed Canadian manufacture the "Q" is for Quebec IIRC there was at least one other Canadian markings DAsomething or other, maybe brain cells will kick in and I will remember.

The M1909 blanks had a production run in 2012 they are head stamped LC 12 but have a 6 petal crimp instead of the red cardboard wad mouth closure. The 2012 run is non corrosive with an annular crimped primer and was made for issue to veterans organizations with Army loaned .30 caliber ceremonial rifles for honor guard duties. Other than head stamp they closely resemble 5 petal crimp grenade launching cartridges.

There has been at least one accident with injuries involving the mistaken use of the grenade cartridge fired in M1 rifles equipped with BFA's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts