1919 A4 Forums banner

Im SICK of 10 dollar Boyscout popcorn. Get with it, BSOA!

6K views 46 replies 27 participants last post by  rugman59 
#1 ·
Im a firm believer of the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. I honestly think they are the last organization in this country thats still teaching boys to be self sufficient men. However, in the last 5 years Ive noticed a huge increase of Boyscout popcorn being sold in malls and in front of Walmart. These kids make a scene a draw me in, and then dad takes over the sale. The Scouts do NONE of the talking, they just run in front of me and yell "YOU WANT TO SUPPORT THE BOYSCOUTS?? Well, Im a good sport and I walk over...only to find popcorn selling for 25 bucks for the Jalapeno 4 pack, 20 bucks for microwave bags and 10 bucks for a SINGLE, 11 oz bag of caramel corn. The kid runs off and dad takes my money. He then hands the bag to some other random scout and says 'hand this to the gentleman'.....

WTF is scouting coming too???

#21 ·
This is correct. I have been a leader in scouts for over 10 years. Started when my son was in kindergarden, now he is an Eagle scout. I am very proud of him. The popcorn is Boy Scouts major fund raiser foer the year. Our troop does sell it but not a lot. We make hogies and sell them about 4 times a year. The scouts do all the work and it goes well. Also, it is rare for a church to pay for the charter and pay for the annual dues. I don't know of any in our district that do that.
Our troop pays over $875 a year to council just for our charter. Annual dues are $75 per scout and $45 per adult. I don't have a problem with the money but some scouts do. Thats why we do the fund raisers to help them. I agree the popcorn is pricey, but the troop does not even get that much profit.

I have enjoyed being a leader for all these years and will continue next year even when my son is at college. Most of the leaders in my troop do not have sons involved anymore they are in college or even beyond grad school, or married, The dads keep coming. For the last two years I have been involved in giving Eagle board of reviews. Once a month, I go and it is a lot of fun. There are some super sharp young men. No, I was not involved in my own sons board. We don't allow any dads to do a board if they know the scout at all, even from another troop. Eagle boards are council wide so people can drive hours to get there.

It is a great organization, but like most you can't make everybody happy. Sometimes I even get a little upset over some items. Overall I love it and our troop is very active. We have done the Boundry waters twice as well as other trips. GREAT TIME on all the trips. Even when the bus broke down.(old schooll bus) We fixed it our selves and kept going. Sraight donation to your troop is the best way. Or, go and volunteer a little time. You might have a great time. Shooting is highly popular in my troop, yes even FA………..:D

#4 ·
News to me and I've been involved with scouting off and on for 30 years. The only troop fundraising activities are cutting firewood or fence posts and putting up American flags on the appropriate holidays for a modest fee. We used to pre-sell and cut Christmas trees, but finding private land to cut from is becoming a problem. Chartering of the unit and individual registration fees are paid from church funds, and members of our church are encouraged to make a special donation directly to the scouting district once a year to underwrite scout activities within the district.

I can see where firewood or fence posts would be a problem for an urban troop, but the flag service should work anywhere and there have to be better ideas than selling some of the junk I see advertised in Boy's Life and the Scouting magazine for adult leaders. I'd much rather give the ten bucks directly to the troop and skip making two or three commercial middlemen rich.

#5 ·
They do the popcorn thing around here too, albeit with a bit less helicopter parenting. One of the district guys told me long ago it was an attempt to try and work the Girl Scout Cookie angle without directly competing, but popcorn? Not a memorable thing in my book. They should do bacon ;)

#6 ·
Yeah, and at 10 bucks a bag, its not even very good. Seriously, 10 bucks for a bag thats half the size of a regular bag of potato chips. i figures theres 25 cents of popcorn and 50 cents of caramel....but Id pay it if the scouts were actively engaged. All the scouts I see in the mall are playing grab ass and let dad do all the work.

When I was a kid I went door to door doing candy fundraising, and I was proud of it. I never made any records or won any pizza parties, but I did it all myself, my Dad just looked at my sales sheet at the end of the day to make sure I wrote it all down.

Im really considering volunteering to do some leadership for the Scouts, but 1) I dont have any kids and 2) I dont want to get caught up in the political bullshit.

#7 ·
Its the same here. Go to any home improvement store and you are met with a gap-tooth grin. Buy my "insert crappy product" so I can "Go To" whatever lame field trip. I give my families kids cash for the PTA stuff. The BSA thing is kinda weird. Even when I was a cub scout our money grabs involved raking leaves or some such labor type situation. It kinda pisses me off really. J

#8 ·
Go for it, Scott! If there is more than two people involved you will always have "political bullshit". What makes being a scout leader worthwhile, whether you are a committee member or a scoutmaster is the looks on the boys' faces when a project or activity goes right. The very best is when they come back to you as adults and say "thanks". It's not easy, but so far nothing worthwhile has been.

#9 ·
money grubbing

Try having four girls in girl scouts, two on the school dance team, two in high school volleyball one in junior high VB, each and every organization has to try to make money somehow,so of course as dad I have to pay each of them for what ever, not to mention having all my friends hit up, I don't remember it being this bad when I graduated in 82, but then maybe it's different on the receiving end, with the girl scout cooky thing we are severely regulated on where and when we can sell, but it doesn't seem to slow the girls down they always sell a couple thousand boxes in our little community! The boy scout popcorn thing must be an east coast thing,I've never seen it out here.

#10 ·
When I was a kid we sold Scout Expo tickets, which was basically just asking for a cash contribution. 47, I know what you mean about all the youth activity fundraisers: Popcorn, cookies, Cheer T-shirts, barbeque tickets, band cards, raffle tickets - it never ends.

With food items, I've just gotten in the habit of giving the kids a check. I certainly don't need to bring home a full size, New York cheese cake. MSG

#12 ·
Funny you should bring this up. Just a few days ago a cub scout came to my door and was taking orders for pop corn and Christmas wreaths. This kid could not have been older than about eight years and he was very articulate in his sales approach. I could hardly say no. I bought a couple of wreaths but no popcorn. After he made the sale his mother came up the driveway with a big friendly smile but she let the kid do all the talking. I think he will go far one day. We always put a couple of Christmas wreaths on the house so I may as well buy them from the scouts even if they are a little more expensive.

#13 ·
Scott I second the go for it. I was a leader years ago with no kids of my own. Helped a freind found a successful troop. Had to step aside as I built my own family and changed careers. Now tge kids are old enough I am back in the saddle. I hated the popcorn sales as a kid, didnt have my son participate last year but wife and son both and him to do it this year. I have had many people just donate $5, $10, $20 instead of buying anything because they know how the system works and would rather donate direct.

#16 ·
Pricey Popcorn

I am glad I am not the only one who feels they ask to much for popcorn. Do not get me wrong I do not mind a Charity but its too much. As for my step daughter everyone in the neighborhood goes nuts for the cookies and buys 100$ plus worth, its crazy the Girl Scouts have dominated the market I tell you.

#19 ·
My boy is a cub scout. His troop sells chocolate bars. That "World's Best Chocolate" stuff. Almonds, krackle, milk chocolate, and caramel (my Fav)
They have no problem selling those! Neither do I. $1 bars. A case of those in a high school classroom goes fast!

#24 ·
It's All about the Council and CASH!!!

Was a leader also the GREEDY Council
It's All about the Council and CASH!!!

the pack gets 30-33% that's all

Nowadays I just give the boys $10 bucks to the Pack/ Troop That's like selling $30 worth of overpriced popcorn

the leader's for scouts work for Free But Council Get paid vary well.

Just remember IT'S FOR THE BOYS Just give the pack/troop a donation thank you

#25 ·
I'm older than dirt and I don't know where the funding came from, but when I was a Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout I NEVER had to sell any of this crap, door-to-door or at the shopping center or anywhere else. Third time around in college and our nursing-school class decided to sell Danish 'Butter' Cookies. I specifically asked the salesman (to the group) if they were made with real butter and he responded they were. The shipment came and they were made predominantly with trans-fats and some real butter. I said "eff that" and spent my owns funds to go to the State Nursing Convention. Nurses will eat anything, but selling artery clogging and hardening trans-fats to the public ...!?

When I was in high school we understood from the beginning funds to row crew came from parents and families, alumni supporters and fund raising barbecues run by the students and parents, (and crew is a very expensive sport) but when it comes to the present day selling of crap stuff -- I sorta understand, but draw the line!

Carry On!
Gary
><>

#26 ·
When I was a kid, I went door to door selling candy for my Catholic school. I never sold much, but I really tried. One year I made AWESOME numbers, but I was 1 hour late turning in my order form and my School wouldnt accept it. I had to go to every neighbor I sold and explain what happened. That sucked.

I dont know whats worse, todays helicopter parenting or the overpriced, crappy popcorn.

I can handle a box of 4 dollar cookies. 4 bucks is a beer, or a meal at Taco bell...Ive usually got an extra 4 bucks in my wallet...but 10 bucks for popcorn (and the prices just go up from there, upwards of 25). Isnt there something else they can be selling that could compete with that Girlscout price margin?

I think Im going to take your guys lead and just hand them a few bucks in a donation next time.

#27 ·
Go ahead and don't show your support. Don't buy it, who the **** cares? I volunteer my time with BSA having a Tenderfoot and CS Wolf. My wife's the kernel this year and it is not easy what she has to driving thirty miles to pick up the crap and slaving away on weekends having to babysit others kids at the mall, supermarket wherever. She makes the CS kids do the math and she'll double check it. For crying out loud they are just out of kindergarden some of them don't you know? What do you expect? Yeah, that's right the troop does not get much. However, if you see a kid with a brown uniform you best buy all he has. Why? Most of that money goes directly into his personal Boy Scout slush fund. Ah, so what. What does that slush fund provide for? AMMO for target shooting and paying an instructor to teach him and other bad ass ****. I guess you libtards can stifle away all you want. That's right keep your head down and walk to your stupid assed smashed truck. You are the ones that elected fucktards not allowing bake sales or candy bar sales, just the crappy popcorn. Another form of back door gun control you could argue. I guess Eagle Scout on a resume means wimp these days. Whatever. There are so few kids that make the transition from CS to BS, moreover making eagle. Buy it if you know what's good. Whaaaa it doesn't taste good.:blackeye:

#28 ·
No need to behave this way.
I don't buy the popcorn, not because of the price but because I hate popcorn. I do however give money to the kids (as long as I have cash on me)
I also hosted an adult pinewood derby race at my office (full of engineers, surveyors and architects) this year. Charged each participant $25 to enter then charged a donation for spectators to eat food that I provided. We raised around $800 that all went to send a few scouts in need to camp.

Before you step up on your soapbox, you may want to look around to see if the audience is what you think it is.

#29 ·
Popcorn & BSA

I make fantastic Carmel Popcorn, recipe available on request. That being the case when a small lad comes to my door I will be polite, direct, kind, ask a few questions, smile, and place my order for more popcorn and say thank you.
Be aware there are always boys that without the fund raisers will never have the opportunity to be a scout. It does not surprise to learn that many good members here are involved with helping and leading BSA.

Because this thread has morfed into more than a simple rant that Scott intended I suggest locking & be done with it.

#31 ·
I make fantastic Carmel Popcorn, recipe available on request. That being the case when a small lad comes to my door I will be polite, direct, kind, ask a few questions, smile, and place my order for more popcorn and say thank you.
Be aware there are always boys that without the fund raisers will never have the opportunity to be a scout. It does not surprise to learn that many good members here are involved with helping and leading BSA.

Because this thread has morfed into more than a simple rant that Scott intended I suggest locking & be done with it.
Right after mt-ac pm's me that carmel corn recipe. :D

#35 ·
Knock on the door Sunday

Knock on the door yesterday afternoon, mom, dad, boy, and, little sister from next door with their red wagon full of goodies. At age six he is very shy, barely talks when playing on the swing set in the back yard. This year they have team logo cans for the popcorn, so did some Christmas shopping. He did say thank you and then off to the next neighbor, and I know they also helped. Hopefully this helps him and other youngsters to grow, learn, make good choices, and then someday help the next generation.

PS: if anyone is in the neighborhood this evening I'm making a batch of fresh Carmel corn, really best when warm. Figure around 9:30ish.

#37 ·
Knock on the door yesterday afternoon, mom, dad, boy, and, little sister from next door with their red wagon full of goodies. At age six he is very shy, barely talks when playing on the swing set in the back yard. This year they have team logo cans for the popcorn, so did some Christmas shopping. He did say thank you and then off to the next neighbor, and I know they also helped. Hopefully this helps him and other youngsters to grow, learn, make good choices, and then someday help the next generation.

PS: if anyone is in the neighborhood this evening I'm making a batch of fresh Carmel corn, really best when warm. Figure around 9:30ish.
And THATS the right way to do it. Family involvment. Im much more apt to buy from them, than the kids playing grab ass in front of Walmart while the parents do all the talking. Good to know there are a few good familes left out there who are participating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.