1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Troy, This was posted in another thread on here eariler.
These belong to a guy out in California who has quite the collection.
He has a quad MG42 built by Red Jacket, several Maxims (most with polished brass Sokolovs), and several other nice guns like the ZB37.
I have heard several "stories" about the man but in my experience he has always been a good guy to me. It's not often that I say that about people from California. :rofl:
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
If one takes an average Mosin Nagant and customize it with Imperial Eagles and scroll work, does that make it a museum piece? In my opinion it actually removes it from any possibility of a museum piece because you have basically destroyed the historic value of the gun. There were no Maxims ever in Imperial service that looked like this. The sideplate is a 37,XXX serial number which means a 1918 sideplate. Imperial Russia did not exist in 1918. The fusee cover without a serial number is a fake I believe. The scope added to the side is not Russian or correct for the gun. The gun looks to have fallen into Finnish hands and was renumbered by them I think. I have no faith in those 4 digit serial numbers. What is with the Jacket? Its a steal jacket that has been browned? Its not brass I can tell you that. The brass looks very good but maybe a bit over buffed? I did one of these myself. They are a ***** to get the paint off. However I did the work to get it looking good without removing metal. Its like the difference between a reblue and a over polished reblue where there are no edges left. It looks like he drilled the mount to add German MG3 tripod legs to the front. The lock box on the Sololov is Finnish but I do like them. The parts I like the best are the fluted wheel hubs and the brass DWM marked Safety! Those are nice parts! While the engraving is very nice, its not historically accurate and has been done recently.

He is claiming its a 80% plate but its totally fitted from what I can see. Now ATF really does not consider it a right plate to you add the cam but right now this gun is being set up as a post sample. A display gun should have a double thick plate which means you lose all the engraving. A semi auto would require denial islands added... which really are suppose to me machine in, so an new plate again. If doing a post sample, one would need to add rivets into the engraving area on the side for the shelf and cam.

Someone did a very nice job of making this gun look good to those who don't really know what they are looking at. However the historic value is not there. This is one of those things where someone buys it at the $8K and when they sell it, sells for $2.5K and the guy can't understand why. To me this is like taking a slightly rare coin and polishing it up to look like a new penny. Most will say oh how nice that looks but the collectors see a loss in value. I have emailed with the seller and I don't mean to trash his gun. Its very pretty. However his claims in the ad are not accurate IMHO, however I don't know if he knows it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If one takes an average Mosin Nagant and customize it with Imperial Eagles and scroll work, does that make it a museum piece? In my opinion it actually removes it from any possibility of a museum piece because you have basically destroyed the historic value of the gun. There were no Maxims ever in Imperial service that looked like this. The sideplate is a 37,XXX serial number which means a 1918 sideplate. Imperial Russia did not exist in 1918. The fusee cover without a serial number is a fake I believe. The scope added to the side is not Russian or correct for the gun. The gun looks to have fallen into Finnish hands and was renumbered by them I think. I have no faith in those 4 digit serial numbers. What is with the Jacket? Its a steal jacket that has been browned? Its not brass I can tell you that. The brass looks very good but maybe a bit over buffed? I did one of these myself. They are a ***** to get the paint off. However I did the work to get it looking good without removing metal. Its like the difference between a reblue and a over polished reblue where there are no edges left. It looks like he drilled the mount to add German MG3 tripod legs to the front. The lock box on the Sololov is Finnish but I do like them. The parts I like the best are the fluted wheel hubs and the brass DWM marked Safety! Those are nice parts! While the engraving is very nice, its not historically accurate and has been done recently.

He is claiming its a 80% plate but its totally fitted from what I can see. Now ATF really does not consider it a right plate to you add the cam but right now this gun is being set up as a post sample. A display gun should have a double thick plate which means you lose all the engraving. A semi auto would require denial islands added... which really are suppose to me machine in, so an new plate again. If doing a post sample, one would need to add rivets into the engraving area on the side for the shelf and cam.

Someone did a very nice job of making this gun look good to those who don't really know what they are looking at. However the historic value is not there. This is one of those things where someone buys it at the $8K and when they sell it, sells for $2.5K and the guy can't understand why. To me this is like taking a slightly rare coin and polishing it up to look like a new penny. Most will say oh how nice that looks but the collectors see a loss in value. I have emailed with the seller and I don't mean to trash his gun. Its very pretty. However his claims in the ad are not accurate IMHO, however I don't know if he knows it.
A really good analysis in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Its very pretty. However his claims in the ad are not accurate IMHO, however I don't know if he knows it.
I think he knows Matt, but I am not sure if he cares or not. I believe the side plate is one that was "doctored up" by IMA but I could be wrong. Your analysis of the gun seems accurate to me.
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Quite interesting. Looks like the same seller to me by the background in the pictures. Why would you have two different accounts? That wouldn't give me a very warm fuzzy if I were to be a potential buyer.
I agree, opens the door for potential Shill bidding.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
A really good analysis in my opinion.
Thanks!

No chrome?
I don't think this was done without taste. I just question doing it to a historic piece. The work done is nice and would great on a new gun, where I think it would fit better IMHO. Chrome, Nickel plating or silver paint was trophy gun thing back in the day.

I think he knows Matt, but I am not sure if he cares or not. I believe the side plate is one that was "doctored up" by IMA but I could be wrong. Your analysis of the gun seems accurate to me.
CaptMax
He has emailed me and showed me. I did not mention anything to him as I don't wish to bash the gun. However I also don't want you guys looking at it to not know what is really going on with this gun and think its original because the ad seems to imply it. I think IMA might have done some but IMA does not touch 80% sideplates, only Dummy plates. So unless it was shaved down... I don't think its IMA work. Also its a bit nicer than IMA work IMO.

Quite interesting. Looks like the same seller to me by the background in the pictures. Why would you have two different accounts? That wouldn't give me a very warm fuzzy if I were to be a potential buyer.
That is odd as its clearly the same seller. I don't know. At those prices, its unlikely he is going to have room to bid anyone up shill bidding.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I have finished up polishing my brass Sokolov. It was a REAL *****! When I did mine I did it without removing tooling marks or taking off edges with lots of buffing. Where there was a smooth finish, its shiny. Where a its sandpaper, its still sandpaper but brass sandpaper. I need to get some good pictures of it. I also have my gun done now too. Brass" Front cap, Trunnion, Bottom plate, Feedblock, Lock depressor (under top cover), Range marking strip... maybe some small items.

You can see with mine, you can still see the tooling marks. Its not nearly as shiny but I like it that way better. Its also no real historical loss. Paint was not original. So I removed it. If you wanted to, you could paint it green and no one would ever know it was shined up like this!

Brass Metal

Brass Brass instrument Metal

Auto part Machine Machine tool Antique Metal

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I have finished up polishing my brass Sokolov. It was a REAL *****! When I did mine I did it without removing tooling marks or taking off edges with lots of buffing. Where there was a smooth finish, its shiny. Where a its sandpaper, its still sandpaper but brass sandpaper. I need to get some good pictures of it. I also have my gun done now too. Brass" Front cap, Trunnion, Bottom plate, Feedblock, Lock depressor (under top cover), Range marking strip... maybe some small items.

You can see with mine, you can still see the tooling marks. Its not nearly as shiny but I like it that way better. Its also no real historical loss. Paint was not original. So I removed it. If you wanted to, you could paint it green and no one would ever know it was shined up like this!

View attachment 13273

View attachment 13274

View attachment 13275
That is just horrible looking Matt, I think you need to trade me for my old painted one so nobody knows you did that!!! :D:rofl:
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
to steal a theme from Toolman's post in another thread......those polished mounts look downright "presidential";) I see a market for sokolov spinners and maybe some neon under the frame? lol:

Please paint that shizzle ASAP!
I heard that brass is a really good base metal for chrome plating.:rofl:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Now all you have to do is find some nice brass cotter pins, if they make them and She'll be ready for the range! Lol!
Na, I kept mine original. No added modern brass.

As one can see there are those that don't like the exposed brass look. I figure there are plenty of green painted versions out there. Why not see some of the awesome work in brass? Its certainly in the style of these guns to leave the brass exposed. Actually now that I think of it, are the Russians the only ones to paint the brass parts? I guess the British painted the Vickers brass on the later guns too. However most brass PreWWI was left exposed on Maxims.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts