1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm looking for any photos out there featuring ww2 soldiers with improvised methods of carrying their .30 cals
Helmet Military person Headgear Soldier Military organization

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yup, as we used to say the "John Wayne" carry. For fun we used to do that with M-60's, not particularly accurate fire.
I carried one - used to have an M4 as well as the M60 for training ( using blanks ) . Once you got a little practice in- Hip shooting the M60, particularly using live ammo with tracers - is actually pretty accurate at under 100 yds from the hip. The MG is not a sniper rifle. Really good for suppressing people shooting at you. The E1 is still heavy at 25 lbs, not as bad as the 240. The E4 and E6 are really handy but we never got those for training missions.

I got started with the M60 while a midshipman- I was assigned to a DDG in the Atlantic for a while, and we had to dispose of 10,000 rds of linked ammo. WEPS officer decided it should go down range off the fantail, so they tossed garbage and fire retardent cans ( 5 gal buckets) that we got to blast away with M60s and M14s. Got sunburned and sore but had a great time.
Workwear Helmet Military uniform Cargo pants Military person

Camouflage Military camouflage Cargo pants Sky Military uniform

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Hey all,

I'm looking for any photos out there featuring ww2 soldiers with improvised methods of carrying their .30 cals View attachment 108025
Thats not 'improvised carry'. Thats EVERY Soldier EVER making dick thrusting motions with his weapon. All 5 of them on line, hip rolling and talking about banging your mom until the CSM sneaks up behind them and makes them carry those guns at the high ready all day.

I mean, thats what Ive heard anyways.....

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Have you looked in the pics in this string ?

There are a lot of cool pics there, none that I remember being MG carry. The hip shooting /sling carry was not an ad hoc carry method in WWII. the Marines pictured above were being taught to shoot that way as a means of "assault" fire. I always brought along slings and ammo bags for the M60/ M16 that I would use that were not official issue. London Bridge, Eagle, tactical Tailor all had some good gear. We could personalize our equipment, and tested a lot of stuff out too. I will check some of my photo books for pics too. I have one from EU that is all about post D-day and has a lot of unpublished combat pics. Actual ones of GIs using German guns, and lots of armor.
What I think is interesting about the GI carrying the 1919A4, is he is carrying a M1 carbine too. I can personally attest to the issue of weight - I injured a shoulder climbing up on a CONNEX box in full battle rattle gear. Getting old sucks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you looked in the pics in this string ?

There are a lot of cool pics there, none that I remember being MG carry. The hip shooting /sling carry was not an ad hoc carry method in WWII. the Marines pictured above were being taught to shoot that way as a means of "assault" fire. I always brought along slings and ammo bags for the M60/ M16 that I would use that were not official issue. London Bridge, Eagle, tactical Tailor all had some good gear. We could personalize our equipment, and tested a lot of stuff out too. I will check some of my photo books for pics too. I have one from EU that is all about post D-day and has a lot of unpublished combat pics. Actual ones of GIs using German guns, and lots of armor.
What I think is interesting about the GI carrying the 1919A4, is he is carrying a M1 carbine too. I can personally attest to the issue of weight - I injured a shoulder climbing up on a CONNEX box in full battle rattle gear. Getting old sucks.
Thanks. The pictures of GI's using german weapons would be interesting as that's a practice that didn't seem to be photographed a lot.
Yea the carbine carried as well was interesting, I know their to&e did give all members a carbine but most don't seem to carry it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts