1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Legendary Donor
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a letter from the State Police notifying us that the State would no longer conduct background checks for the NICS compliance, no big deal here because the state charged $3 for a handgun check and the Federal agency is free.

The REAL KICKER is that they want FFL's to forward a copy of the 4473 to the State police for each handgun sale, rent, trade or transfer by the end of the last day of the month following the sale. Looks to me like a gun registry, here is the language of the law:
http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2006/HE/HE1176.1.html.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Non-compliance....no punishment

Brian....Been fighting this part of the new life-time license to carry since before Gov. Daniels signed it in April. There is no provision for ANY punishment or action if a dealer fails to send in a 4473 copy. Now under federal law,sec.926,anyone who makes copies of the 4473,sends or collects data for any local,state or federal agency is subject to a ten (10) year prison sentence and/or $250,000.00 fine. Its simple...there is no need for compliance with this absurd provision. If you do,you are violating Federal statute. If you do not send in a copy of the 4473....what are they going to do? There is no provision for any prosecution and the statute is silent on any criminal intent or violation. Jim Tomes,Evensville IN patroit and leader of the 2nd ammendent group down there had a meeting and talked with the LT. Gov. on Tuesday of this week about this matter. The sponsering house and senate leaders know about this and are planning to get it revised/scrapped as soon as possible. Just do like Martin Luther King....non-compliance with an illegal law. I am not going to send in ANYTHING to the ISP....and they know it. Trying to get this message out to as many dealers as possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This makes me paranoid. I wanted to go buy my first handgun tomorrow. Thinking about a Tokarev so I can use 7.62 and 9mm. Why dont they understand that criminals get guns illegally and will not listen to their laws. As we become closer to marshall law everyone becomes a criminal.

William

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Between a rock and the ISP....

ekg98 said:
This makes me paranoid. I wanted to go buy my first handgun tomorrow. Thinking about a Tokarev so I can use 7.62 and 9mm. Why dont they understand that criminals get guns illegally and will not listen to their laws. As we become closer to marshall law everyone becomes a criminal.

William
William....Not to worry. Currently,if you have an Indiana License to Carry (assuming you are an IN resident) you do not have to fill out the ISP state form. Under the new provision,only those who do not have a license to carry will be subject to having their 4473 copied and sent to the ISP. Remember, an Indiana license exempts you from this provision in both instances. As a dealer,I am not going to comply with this onerous law. Anyone that buys a handgun from me,w/o a valid license to carry,will NOT have their federal 4473 form COPIED OR SENT anywhere. To do so is a clear violation of ATF rulings and the federal statutes involved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts