1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got Colt M-16 and a M-14 from the Govt and added them to our PD. We already have a 11in auto, but the M-14 is just like the M1 with a mag. My question is on the right side of the reciever there looks as if the selector for the semi/auto is there but I cannot get it to move. There is a round piece sticking out and the stock is cut out for it. Any info would be great. Thanks, Jerod

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Jerod--

Most M14s were block from FA fire with a selector block (The round piece). Only guns that were designated as automatic weapons man were set for FA fire (The M14 was suppose to replace the BAR in the infantry squad). The problem with the FA fire on the M14 it had a very fast climb rate in the hands of an untrained individual. The first shot was on target and the rest to the heavens knows where. You will need a selector switch to replace the selector block to get the FA fire.

--fjruple

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats fine I have fired a 10 or 11 inch full auto Fn-Fal and that is uncontrollable but is fun to shoot. I was just woundering what the weird button thing was and that is what I figured it was. It will be left the way it is, with a M1A it is to accurate to shoot more than one round at once. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Nice toys. Got any openings for volunteers in your dept?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
If my old memory serves me correctly, you can also remove the block then push in on the shaft and turn it 180 degrees and reinstall the block. Then it is locked in FA. :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
An M14 is alot of fun to shoot but from a practical sense it is pretty useless when fired full auto. Even with a conscious effort I found it hard to hold the muzzle down for more than a couple of rounds when firing in full auto. A buddy of mine was stationed in Germany in the early 60's and said all their M14's were locked into semi auto. Not too practical but still a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
As was said replace the block with a switch then you will have a semi auto and an auto fire (although completely uncontrolable) rifle. I have fired many full auto guns to include BAR, MG34, M60, Lewis, Bren, BMG and the worst was the M14. Even with the issue bipod it is completely uncontrolable. But it is a great semi auto. I use to have a full auto switch laying around in my parts bin I will check and see.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,237 Posts
My one experience of firing a mag full through an F/A M14 was at a Texas MG shoot some years back. I started with a three round burst from the standing position. Rounds 1 & 2 hit the back stop. It was round 3 that had the owner of the gun suggesting- more like ordering, really- that I fire the remaining contents of the mag from prone off the bipod. Round 3 went somewhere over the berm, but we didn't get any reports of a dead cow or anything, so I guess I was fortunate. Yeah, without a LOT of practice, that bugger is hard to control in F/A from a standing position. Now the owner was a big, burly guy and I watched him do it with ease. My mistake was in thinking that if HE could do it, that I could too. Oops!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Shot an M14E2 and a BM59 (Nigerian Model?) set up with the same stock configuration. I could hold a 3 round burst on target with each one and the BM59 was a lot smoother. I've got a selector switch and a spring if you want it. The spring is not an original but I think it will work. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts