1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly, I've been winging it for a year, but burning through too many bands. I would like to know how to properly use both the small and large barrel bands. Any help or pictures appreciated... especially any tricks or modifications to make the bands last longer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I only have semi guns, but have never staked the bands. Nor have I ever had to replace one. They my not be full auto, but I still hammer them pretty good. I've burnt through 30k rounds on my main gun. I just make sure everything is tight after cleaning and check while shooting. Right or wrong thats what I do.

Brad - Big44maghunter

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
When you say "burning through too many bands" what do you mean? Are they getting damaged by staking, then straightening/undoing the staking to disassemble and clean?

I just tighten the bearing as tight as possible by hand and the booster using the bearing socket wrench. I don't stake my bands, shoot plenty in both 308 and 8mm, and have never had a bearing or booster loosen itself.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Not in twenty years have I worried about a barrel band at either location. Shot plenty of rounds from a gun with no jacket band at all cause I lost it somewhere. How many times an hour are you disassembling the jacket/booster? J

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
All of the above are good advice. If you want a little margin of error use a little dab of Loctite. Ordnance dogma was to stake the bands by using a punch to push the thin side of the band into the notch on the booster and/or plug. Early M1919 prototypes did not have the bands just like like the M1919 Tank gun. But if you feel compelled here's a picture

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

I appreciate all the insight and experiences shared. I clean my weapon thoroughly after every shoot due to corrosive ammo use. Therefore, I disassemble the weapon completely for cleaning. I have been trying to figure out if the band needed to be staked on both ends (into the barrel shroud & into the booster). Mine comes loose when firing 54R unless staked. Would anyone recommend a specific tool for staking and un-staking, I've been using a small punch.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Are you tightening using the wrench or just by hand? I use the wrench to snug it up good and I've never had one come loose. Shot 5,000 rounds in my FA gun in June with no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts