1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Very interesting. By the way what ever happened to the M85 .50 cal machine gun. Another high tech failure I guess. But just think in less than a decade the M2 will be a hundred years old.That is like if we sent our first troops off to Vietnam armed with civil war muskets or the troops to Iraq with the 03 Springfield. That really says something about the M2 design. I guess we really have not made that much progress in some firearms design. After all they are still making M1911 style pistols (another Browning design).

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
Only Ed at CWA has improved on the M2 with his Dragon M-50 taking 27 Lb off the total weapon weight and upping it`s ROF to 925 RPM from 450 RPM :D . Yes it is tweaks to it but just over double the rate of fire :cool: !
In a 500 rd dump against the FN M3M (aircraft config ) his M-50 beat it :tongue::tongue::tongue:! And you do not have to take it apart to change barrels like the FN .

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
A few issues with that article....

1) They state that the barrels are shot out at 3,000 rounds??? Ive done that in a DAY during gunnery qualifications.

2) The M2A1 conversion is despised by most everyone who touch them.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
Scott,
In single shot rifles we have found accuracy goes at around 3000 rounds but that is sub MOA accuracy .One Cut rifled barrel lasted 4800 rounds and was retired because of chamber erosion in the throat looked like a volcanic cone with deep fissures but it was still shooting sub MOA !

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Scott,
In single shot rifles we have found accuracy goes at around 3000 rounds but that is sub MOA accuracy .One Cut rifled barrel lasted 4800 rounds and was retired because of chamber erosion in the throat looked like a volcanic cone with deep fissures but it was still shooting sub MOA !
This summer alone, my gun trucks were going to the line with about 800 rounds for night night, 800 rounds for day gunnery tables. 1600 rounds a day, 5 days worth...there is NO way a USGI M2 BBL burns out in 3k rounds. I thought Stellite bbls were good to at least 10K. Either that or Im shooting some really worn out guns. Wouldnt surprise me any.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
I thought the entire purpose for the Stellite liner was to extend the life beyond the 3k mark?

From what I've heard from friends, the M2A1 is heap of dog doo. They headspace them with a breech block of varying thickness at the factory with one barrel and there is no guarantee another barrel will headspace correctly. I'm glad the Navy hasn't gone to them yet, at least as of when I was in. I learned the old fashioned way to maintain and fire a deuce from a crusty old Chief who had been in longer than I had been alive at that point.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've got an early Serbu BFG .50 with over 7,000+ rounds down the pipe and it still shoots great. Of course I'm not participating in matches or shooting Match grade ammo nor am I going downrange to measure the hit spread. That said I am still able to hit everything aimed at as are guests when given the opportunity to try it. I've got no issues with the gun at this time given the parameters I'm utilizing the firearm for and when I lose the ability to hit my mark at a mile + perhaps I'll have the barrel changed out however, until that time I'm going to shoot the **** out it. LOL

Disclaimer: I am very meticilous about the care of the firearm and it's use. I never get the barrel too hot before I let it cool back down so I can touch it. If you don't misuse or neglect a barrel it will last quite a while.

Frank

·
Registered
158 Posts
M3d

Only Ed at CWA has improved on the M2 with his Dragon M-50 taking 27 Lb off the total weapon weight and upping it`s ROF to 925 RPM from 450 RPM :D . Yes it is tweaks to it but just over double the rate of fire :cool: !
In a 500 rd dump against the FN M3M (aircraft config ) his M-50 beat it :tongue::tongue::tongue:! And you do not have to take it apart to change barrels like the FN .
Thanks Frog... Here is a video at Camp Atterbury

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
...wow...!!!

Thanks,Ed....!!! Looked at the vid's with my postal carrier...retired Army tanker,.50 instructor and did 3-tours in the sand-box. He had not heard of the advances made in the .50 system and had not seen the FN quick change set up either. He marveled at the ROF...said it sounded like the M249 at first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts