1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped in to talk to a friend today and he pulled out some targets he had shot,he had just reloaded some swedish mauser ammo and wanted to see what it would do, the projectiles were hornady, they grouped very well, but each hole had a little tail,swirling outward from the hole, on one side only, I have never seen anything like it in the thousands of rounds I have put through paper. Anyone have an idea what could cause them?

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Well, he wasn't "firing blanks" was he? :rofl:

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Reloads? Sounds like underpowered loads that wouldn't stabilize the bullet causing it to tumble, maybe just slightly.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
targets

I asked my buddy to send me a picture of it,it's really strange, they look like there were little jets blasting out of the side of the bullets, actually the first thing I thought of was the WW1 anti-dirigible rounds, but he told me he bought a brand new box of Hornady projectiles to reload with!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
My thought would be partial jacket stripping ,one land or groove shearing and stripping back :confused: :confused:
Never heard of that, but it makes sense to me. Maybe a bad batch of bullets? Thin wall and not properly bonded in one area??? Very odd.

·
Registered
350 Posts
We see spiral swirl marks (usually one, sometimes two) on targets from pistol bullets occasionally at USPSA matches. It seems to mostly happen with coated-lead bullets at fairly close range, so I'm thinking break-in-the-jacket is the most likely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts