1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by a thrift store this weekend and found an interesting WW2 pack,it's a Boyt dated 42,at fist I thought it was just a standard light pack,but when I flipped open the flap with meat can pouch I found it had a larger flap inside with loops for carrying something,the loops are slightly larger then a 12 gauge shell,I have spent a lot of time online looking but I haven't been able to figure out what it was made for! Obviously a specialty carrier for something,any help identifying it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
1910 pack was the WW1 MODEL, I cannot recall the model date on this one 1923? but only thing changed was closures on meat can pouch, standard infantry issue, minus the extension that laces to the bottom.

Those loops are for your tent pegs IIRC. Your T handle shovel attaches between the meat can and pack and the closure staps hold it from flopping.

Mine are in storage so cannot easily grab to show it packed out

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
There were two types of pack listed in the FM 21-100, July 23 1941. The first is the "Haversack Without Pack Carrier" and the one like you show here "Haversack and pack carrier". the long piece is called the "inside Flap" and the T shaped part is called the" outer flap".They don't exactly explain what it is for but they go into details about carrying tent poles and entrenching tools. It looks like the flap is folded over any long item and the three straps of the outer flap are placed through the loops of the inside pack carrier..

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M1928 Haversack

I posted this over on the G-503 site as well and a couple guys sent me some great links all about the using of this pack,I guess because it is rather limited for civilian usage explains why I have never came across one before,I have several other types of packs but this is the first of these,it's not something you can just throw a couple items in for a camping trip or such.
Now I have to figure out exactly how it would have been used during WW2,it will make a great addition to my WW2 display I have coming up next month at my local high school!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts