1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Tom Kelly, I've been lurking about 3 months or so, just aquired a AA 1919A4, picked it up from my dealer yesterday. He's a class III dealer, and has several REAL 1919s and was very impessed with the fit, finish, and the price I paid for this baby. Once I got it home I dry fired 4 times and couldn't get over the smoothness of the action and ease of the trigger pull. It may be over a month or so before the true test of actual firing, but so far I'm very impressed, and happy. Thanks Albie, and Jason at AA!

A little about me, Born in Youngstown, OH in FEb 56, moved to Az in '64, been collecting miitary weapons since 16 (mowed yards all summer then had my Dad get me what I wanted). Joined the Marines 74 got out a Sgt in 78 (should have stayed in!!), For the last 20 years or so have added collecting, and restoring military vehicles, have restored and owned 2 M37s, a M3A1 Halftrack, a'57 M35 deuce, a 68' M52A2 5-ton, and curently own a 84, M1009 Blazer, and a "53 Reo M35A2. There maybe another M3A1 halftrack in my future once I'm back on my feet physically, and financially.

I turned 50 on Feb 03rd,and apparently my warrenty expired as I was in severe pain and diagnosed with stomach cancer, on Feb 28th, they gave me a 50-50 chance. My family was all bummed out, and I'm thinking 50-50, heck, I'd play those odds in Vegas! Whats the problem? Lets do what we need to do to kill these tumors, so that's where I'm at, I have 4more kimo treatments to go through, but the last cat-scan I had shows all the tumors are dead, so things are looking better now. But the kimo they used was extra tough due to my size, and the severity of my infestation. I feel like a 90 year old man, but once done with the kimo, I'll work on getting my strength back. I'm a born again Christian who KNOWS the healing power of God is real, and I'm a hard headed Marine. Yeah, right now this is kicking my butt, But I WILL survive!

The cancer is why I had to get a 1919, it' a medical expense, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. They put a "port" in my right chest to make feeding me my kimo drugs intervieniously easier, as my viens are so hard to find, a very nice set up, you only have to get stuck once (yeah, it still hurts). I asked my Dr if I could go shooting, he didn't have a problem with it , so I took a couple of my M1As and had a good day out with my shooting partner Marc. At the end of the day my shoulder hurt, and was turning back and blue, funny, that never happened before.
Got up the next morning, and my right arm hurt, and was swelled up double size, crap, that can't be good. Go see Dr, admitted to hospital, Big massive bloodclot, only reason I'm not dead is it clogged up my port, which saved my life. I'm glad God protects morons too! Long story short, lots of blood thinners, removed clogged port, installed new one on left chest (won't stop a bood clot on that side....DOH!), so no more rifle shooting for a while! Thus the "need" for a 1919.

This is a minor set back, that may take me two years to recover from finncially, if that's the worse that happens I'm ok. I need to finish my new shop, get caught up financially, hopefully restore this other halftrack,get a few more weapons, and LOTS of ammo. Then my next goal is learn to fly, and hopefully my retirement toy will be a PT-17 Stearman.......time will tell....Sorry if I rambled on too much about my self, but I've read a lot of your posts here, and felt at home, so I opened up, hopefully it wasn't too boring.

NOW for the questrions!! Been studying all the threads regarding head space and 8mm conversions, and am still confused about the proper head space technique for 8mm. Is it the same for30-06, or am I missing something here? It'll be a while before I can afford to do a 8mm conversion, but I like to know what I'm in for before just jumping into a conversin and doing something stupid/dangerous. Also, regarding head space gauges, from the posts I've read the majority seems to think them a waste of time, and to use the old TM "click" method instead, is this correct? That's how the old timers set the headspace on our M2HB 50s in the CORPS, they didn't need no stinking timeing gauge! Thanks for your input, and straightning out any misconceptions on my account.

Thanks
Tom Kelly
Buckeye, Az

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Tom good to have you here and I am praying for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome!

Tom, welcome! With the Great Physician as your Doctor and with the proper attitude you can do all things! I also have been through a cancer experience where I was supposed to die and here I am almost 10 years later laughing at the devil and praising the Lord!

You will love your 1919 and I'm sure the Allied crew has built you a good one. Now, save your pennies (actually $20s would make it happen faster) for a .50!

Blessings today and every day!

Prof
aka Rev Michael G. Miller, Lt Col, USAF (ret)

·
Registered
319 Posts
You probably had a harder time than this in basic training!
Keep the faith soldier, and DON'T QUIT.

I too bought a new one of AA 1919A4s back in January, and have never had a problem with it. Although I shoot mine in 7.62x51 only. Never have used a headspace guage on it, just use the 3 clicks out from barrel extension lockup method.

Join us on the 50 BMG board for interesting talk: www.m2hb.net Seen many an M2 headspaced and timed with nickles, dimes and ID tags over the years. I've carried the same H&T gauge for the last 17 years given to me by my first platoon sergeant. It's made two trips to the Gulf and back. Wouldn't trade it for its weight in gold...

SFC Buckner

·
Registered
58 Posts
Live in Az also

Tom Az is the place to be!!! We have all the right people and for medical reasons the 1919 will help. I live in Chandler AZ. Any help just let me know

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the welcome, I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I'm sure I'll be posting time to time with questions, and/or good/bad experiences. I failed to mention that I purchased a Emory 6-lug Crankfire off a member of this site, he should recieve my money early this week. I have a refund check coming in from AA that should cover the MG42 AA, double box adapter and T&E from Rich at Shoot 1919, so hopefully can order them in the next week or so. I'll just need to buy one of those $79.00 tripods out of SGN (I know how to sandblast and paint!) and I'm almost in business. My shooting partner Marc, already bought us a Ohio Ord linker, 1000 Israeli links, and a 1000 rds of SA surplus. I think we're about ready to "Get 'er done!"

Sometime after it cools down, and hopefully my health/strength starts to improve maybe some of us AZ 1919sters can get together for a shoot some time. I live in Buckeye, and have reconned out some nice shooting areas with good backstops within 10 miles from me. Let me know.

Thanks for your prayers and support. Cancer sucks, I wouldn't wish this on any one. But I will pull through this with God's help and hopefully have an improved outlook on life when it's all over. I'm down but NEVER out!

Semper Fi
Tom Kelly
Buckeye, Az

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome!tedbo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts