1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
O k I’ve got another question, I got sidetracked on some other things but I’m back to the important one, finishing my 1919. I’ve got my rhsp done and have assembled it many times to test function , finally got my engraving done, I marked the outside with the original engraving, Browning Machine Gun 1919 A4 , Saginaw steering gear div of General Motors etc. on the inside where the brass ejects I put my name , serial number and 30 cal. Semi- auto, from what I’ve read I think this is o k with the BATF , but I may be completely wrong ?? I am ready to rivet this thing together and test fire but if I need to alter my engraving now is the time so am I good to go or not ??? I don’t need any problems down the road, thanks guys ,Jon P. P.s. I realize I may be real sick, I’m buying spare parts for a gun I haven’t finished yet !

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Sounds like you have been bitten pretty good by the Browning bug. As far as the engraving if it is just a home build for yourself and you are only doing one the engraving you did is fine. As a manufacturer it is a different ball game altogether and a different set of rules. I always build mine with the engraving and serial number because at some point we all need to sell our stuff down the road, Like aging it's inevitable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well another update, I have it all put together , so I took it to the range today, I have a problem with the feed, it would only shoot two or three in a row except at the end of the belt it would shoot the last five or six, I think my main problem was lack of enough lubrication, especially on the left hand sideplate where the extractor cams are, got home and with a little more lube it cycles about twice as easy, have read and reread the sticky at the beginning, my headspace was also a little tight, Ill go and try it out again some evening this week if I can, im going to try and post some random pics from the last 8 to 10 weeks showing my adventure
I have more but this is enough for now, Good Day Jon P.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks GBYENKO, yea half of the fun for me is building things, there are at least three more for this project, next a linker, then a tripod, an AA type with a can for the links a can for the brass, and a can for the belt, wanta make it so i can either stand or sit in a lawn chair and blast away, and last i'm probably going to end up building a backplate with spade grips like yours, at the rate i've been going that will take me through next fall, oh and I need to parkerize this thing. Hope to go to the Creek next fall and maybe get my next project !!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I wish I had your talent with the machine work, I have a smity combo machine lathe & mill but I'm not much of a machinist just kind of fumble around and make small parts and semi-mods ext. If I ever learn to really use it I'd probably want to get a real machine. :geek:
Greg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well a little update, took it to the range yesterday and the thing ran like a Swiss watch, I had three main problems a week ago, definitely not lubed up enough, my loads were short, everyone says 2.8 inches long overall , they mean 2.8, not 2.770 , I can’t believe the difference it makes on my gun , I measured some gi ammo I have and it is 2.820 , it works great but 2.770 does not feed reliably. And my main problem, I was trying to run the belt upside down, I felt like a idiot when I realized this, was looking at starter tabs after pinching my finger under the top cover and and noticed they have a single loop, I had been trying to start with the single loop, start the belt from the other end with the double loop and the feed slide grips it a lot better, duh some times I wonder about myself ! I’ll start building a linker this week, oh and if anyone has any 147 gn pulled bullets they wanta sell I’m interested, I’m deep on primers and powder but this is a new caliber for me. Good Day, Jon P

21 - 27 of 27 Posts