1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im still a newbie reloader and I got tired of searching the internet for load data, so I bough Lymans 49 edition last night. Heres a few things Ive noticed, and I am little perplexed...

1) No load data for the 5.56, 62 grain bullet? Its only in use by, like, 45% of the worlds military forces....

2)No load data for the 45 ACP, 230 FMJ?? (Also one of the the most popular rounds ever made)

3)..9x19.....147 gn bullet...Lyman shows MAX LOAD as 3.9 GN with Bullseye...Handloads.com and several other online sources say to START at 3.8??

4) 380 ACP...Shows 2.3-3.1gn with Unique and a 95 FMJ......Handloads.com suggests a STARTING load of 3.9 (Quotes Alliants 2000 load data)

What the hell? Thats some pretty huge differences. Is the Lymans manual reliable, or is there a better source?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I too am new to reloading and the first two calibers I tried to reload werent listed in the Nosler book. Nothing crazy either.
405 grain 45-70 (ya know, the old standard) and 148gr .38 Special.
I went and bought the Lee book Modern Reloading and its got TONS of info in it...seems to be much more complete.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too am new to reloading and the first two calibers I tried to reload werent listed in the Nosler book. Nothing crazy either.
405 grain 45-70 (ya know, the old standard) and 148gr .38 Special.
I went and bought the Lee book Modern Reloading and its got TONS of info in it...seems to be much more complete.
Funny you mention that caliber...I also started with 45-70 and had a real pain locating good, trusted recipes.

I just dont understand how the Lyman manual can be SO far off all the other sources.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Lee`s has always been my go to except for 50 BMG , mine is an ancient edition but very complete with most every caliber and bullet maker listed in the load data , yes it does not contain the newer powders and bullet makers/weights but i bet the newer edition does !!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had a post on "The Reloading Room" on Facebook and alot of people seemed to suggest the Lee book.

Another common suggestion was buy a bunch of books and compare 'em...but yeah....$$$$

The Nosler book ONLY listed 300 grain Strong Action loads. Seems silly to disregard any traditional or heavy weight projectiles, and the bulk of the actions out there.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Reloading manuals tend to favor the bullets offered by the company printing the manual. Lyman manuals tend to provide load data for cast bullets which should be no surprise based on their primary product line. I reload a great deal and keep a variety of manuals on the book shelf such as Hornady, Lyman and Sierra. Over the years I have also collected data for duplicating military cartridges from a variety of sources such as Dillon, NRA and a few others. Commonly you will not find all the answers in one book.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Kirby SEZ: ".... Commonly you will not find all the answers in one book."

You are so right! Unless one is loading only one or two loads and using trusted information got from another reloader or similar trusted source, one MUST have no fewer than two manuals from different sources to compare. Nothing else would keep a reloader from potential mistakes -- which could cause 'problems.'

Of course there are also all the other serious 'MUST' rules at the reloading bench; no smoking or eating, no TV, no visitors or other outside distractions, only one powder on the bench at a time, etc. Then there're the 'details' of checking each bullet, the shell, the primer, the charge, the weights, the finished rounds ....

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
No styrofoam near your stuff either.

Im probably going to buy #50 once i find it. It has a lot of updated loads/calibers. I used to have all sorts of powders , now as they run out Im sticking with just 4 now to cover everything.

I traded some sealed 1lb cans off too, like 2 - $16 cans of red dot for $160 worth of 8mm yugo sniper ammo.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Being extremely cheap I go to the propellant mfg's web site and down load their reloading info. I always compare as many sources as I can BEFORE loading anything. Yes I do have manuals from Speer, Hornaday and one called Modern reloading or some such thing by what was Krause Publications.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I noticed that the 7.7 Arisaka section was missing from #49.

I was able to go online and find a .pdf of #47 that had the data.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
These are what I use now, but believe me, I still Google for fresh updated data, and I have long since replaced older books with newer versions as they came out. Not every new version, but alternate #'s. Like most guys - I look at all the info, and find a happy medium that I trust myself. There is usually room for a little play in all of the data and different books on the market.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went online last night and founf the Lee manual (book) along with a CD containing a bunch of other info for 25 bucks. Hopefully it will fill in the gaps left by the Lyman manual.

What really worried me was the VASTLY different recipes for 9MM and 380. They were off by almost 2 gn in both directions.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I actually have the Lymann, Nosler, and Lee manuals in my cart at MidwayUSA while I was debating which to buy.

Just saved me some $$$ and bookshelf space!

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...for the record....

After having reloaded over 115 calibers,doing it for 40+ yrs,teaching as a certified NRA Reloading Instructor and having the only reloading business within 250 miles....here is my professional opinion.

The Lyman 49th manual is best for beginning reloaders. When you really need to determine which powders and bullet combinations to use...the LEE 2nd. ed. THIRD printing (with the pages numbered) is by far the finest reloading manual I've ever seen or used. Because LYMAN and LEE only produce reloading and casting equipment,they use everyone's bullets,powder and primers. No other Mfg. does this. The LEE manual has more info than any 4-manuals ever printed...put together.

I recommend the LYMAN (now the 50th ed. is available) for beginners and suggest they also buy the LEE soon after. Of course,the net is always a good source from each Mfg. of powder and bullets. I always keep several manuals available...Lee,Lyman,Nosler,Accurate (last one in 2000 when they were bought by Winchester), and the classic 'Cartridges of the World' from the 1st ed. in 1962 thru the current 14th ed. To complete my advise,I'd also suggest 'Handbook of Cartridges',as it tells which cartridges can be made from other brass for 1500 different calibers...metric,current,obsolete,etc. It's been out of print since the '80's...but I find one once in a while and buy every one I can find. Will have specifics on this valuable source tomorrow,as all my copies are at my shop. I loan them on occasion to select customers and make copies of appropriate pages for others.

Once at the shop,found out my initial description was incorrect. The book....over 1030 pgs long..is called 'Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions' by John J. Donnelly. Last date of publication was 1987 and printed by Stoeger Print Co. out of New Jersey. It has a green cover and is approx. 8 1/2" x 11" in size. Sorry I can't get a pic,as I hit a deer and my digital camera is in my truck console at the body shop. If anyone else can provide a pic,it would help others locate the book easily at a gun show or book sale. I usually find copies at gun shows.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
+1

you ask, it's in most of our heads.

Buy the Lyman Cast bullets book too if you can get one. crazy info .

bottleneck rifle .30 cal and above, 11g of unique. flat load, dont go more or less.

You could argue the ranges of loads given but most of it is lawyer talk. I haven't blown anything up yet.

i blew my uzi up , but thats another story .

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
After having reloaded over 115 calibers,doing it for 40+ yrs,teaching as a certified NRA Reloading Instructor and having the only reloading business within 250 miles....here is my professional opinion.

The Lyman 49th manual is best for beginning reloaders. When you really need to determine which powders and bullet combinations to use...the LEE 2nd. ed. THIRD printing (with the pages numbered) is by far the finest reloading manual I've ever seen or used. Because LYMAN and LEE only produce reloading and casting equipment,they use everyone's bullets,powder and primers. No other Mfg. does this. The LEE manual has more info than any 4-manuals ever printed...put together.

I recommend the LYMAN (now the 50th ed. is available) for beginners and suggest they also buy the LEE soon after. Of course,the net is always a good source from each Mfg. of powder and bullets. I always keep several manuals available...Lee,Lyman,Nosler,Accurate (last one in 2000 when they were bought by Winchester), and the classic 'Cartridges of the World' from the 1st ed. in 1962 thru the current 14th ed. To complete my advise,I'd also suggest 'Handbook of Cartridges',as it tells which cartridges can be made from other brass for 1500 different calibers...metric,current,obsolete,etc. It's been out of print since the '80's...but I find one once in a while and buy every one I can find. Will have specifics on this valuable source tomorrow,as all my copies are at my shop. I loan them on occasion to select customers and make copies of appropriate pages for others.

Thank you, GREAT POST!

Two questions:

- Why do you suggest the Lyman manual for beginners?

- Who is the publisher or author of the "Handbook of Cartridges" (when you get it tomorrow) so I can locate a copy

·
Registered
512 Posts
When I started reloading I bought the Lee and Lyman books from Len. I also found the Western Powders (western owns several powder companies) reloading info free online. I use the lee and western info the most (I use Hodgdon and Accurate powder), while referencing the lyman book when needed. I have a local place that sells powder and they normally have a large selection on hand at all times, and for the most part (other than I think 6 powders) it is buy as much as you like.

Here is the Western info: http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_7-2-13.pdf

Here is the Hodgdon info: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Steve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts