1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
What other company loses millions of dollars a year and no one ever says anything!
If I had a UPS or Fedex store near me I would just use them,but the nearest of either is an a hour and a half away!
Well, good thing the USPS is not a private company. It is a GOVERNMENT SERVICE. And, since you asked, NO, government services don't MAKE a profit. For example: The U.S. Military - has YET to make a profit. In fact, it operates as a LOSS amounting to the single largest line item in the U.S. Budget.

Anytime you want to imagine life without the USPS, take your little letter over to Fed EX or UPS and see how much THEY charge to take a single letter across the country. Then multiply THAT times how many bills you pay each month or items you order etc. etc.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Well, good thing the USPS is not a private company. It is a GOVERNMENT SERVICE. And, since you asked, NO, government services don't MAKE a profit. For example: The U.S. Military - has YET to make a profit. In fact, it operates as a LOSS amounting to the single largest line item in the U.S. Budget.

Anytime you want to imagine life without the USPS, take your little letter over to Fed EX or UPS and see how much THEY charge to take a single letter across the country. Then multiply THAT times how many bills you pay each month or items you order etc. etc.
The digital age will eventually make the paper letter obsolete. I only go to the mailbox once or twice a week and it’s only to get the junk mail out and throw it in the trash. I can see a future without mailboxes altogether.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The digital age will eventually make the paper letter obsolete. I only go to the mailbox once or twice a week and it’s only to get the junk mail out and throw it in the trash. I can see a future without mailboxes altogether.
As much as you try, that will NEVER happen as it's not just correspondence letters USPS carries. USPS carries MASSIVE amounts of mail including packages for Amazon and others and is even the final leg and delivery for all foreign packages coming in from out of country.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
As much as you try, that will NEVER happen as it's not just correspondence letters USPS carries. USPS carries MASSIVE amounts of mail including packages for Amazon and others and is even the final leg and delivery for all foreign packages coming in from out of country.
exactly......and that is why Trump was/is so upset with them........they locked in super cheap rates and are stuck in a lose lose situation....

·
Registered
532 Posts
exactly......and that is why Trump was/is so upset with them........they locked in super cheap rates and are stuck in a lose lose situation....
I don't understand the rationale you cite. It doesn't matter if they make a profit. It's a government service. If a US citizen orders something from another country, USPS is the last leg of that and those rates are set in an international protocal. Just because trump thinks he knows better doesn't make it true (or rationale) and in the end, it's the US citizen who gets the benefit.

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
The Priority Mail packages I've been shipping are taking 7 to 8 days to arrive, rather than the expected 2 to 3 days. My commercial bank account statement just arrived today - a week later than usual. So yes. MSG

·
Registered
329 Posts
Priority flat rate envelope from Michigan mailed Dec 1, arrived a few minutes ago.

Up until a few weeks ago USPS was doing well at getting my stuff where it needed to be, on time, but lately, not so much.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
During the past few business days I have received emails from my customers informing theirs to expect delays. Also I have received emails from a number of hobby businesses I have accounts with informing customers to expect delays. These delays are nothing new, this has been building since last year, the virus and Christmas season have only added to an already aggravating situation.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
You are out of your mind. Our Family Readiness Group (mostly military spouses) saw a net profit of almost 500 dollars last year from their bake sales!!! 😅

But seriously, nobody pays bills via postal mail anymore. Every account I have uses online billing. Hand written letters are a thing of the past and other than birthday cards from grandma, not many people really have a need for envelope mail anymore. I will tell you where USPS excels- flat rate shipping. You get a free box (saves 2-3 bucks) and weight doesnt matter. That danm free box is what keeps me coming back time after time. I feel like USPS tracking is sub par, and gawd help you if they misplace a package. Good luck getting in touch with someone willing to help. I do feel horrible for my local carrier though. It seems like he has to stop at almost EVERY house nowadays to hand walk a package to the porch. I dont think USPS is ever going to stop being relevant (as you stated, nobody delivers small items as cheap as they do) but they really need to update their logistics capabilities and tracking.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The USPS is not the only carrier with flat rate boxes...
Correct, FedEx provides free boxes and their One Rate service compares well with USPS flat rate. I switched my company's shipping to FedEx One Rate years ago and never looked back at USPS.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am missing 16 qty–12x20 5/8 thick steel targets for my personal range that shipped on cyber Monday. They are on a trailer somewhere.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
In general I really like the postal service. I have a great letter carrier and the people at the local post offices are great. The informed delivery and the online purchase and printing of shipping labels are first rate. The delivery speed of mail prior to Covid was generally excellent.

Covid has hit the main sorting/distribution centers very hard this year. In addition with so many people working from home the mail volume has increased significantly. It is very hard for them to be profitable with increased operational cost due to Covid and having to pre-fund medical and pensions as mandated by congress.

I used to really like FedEx, unfortunately their website suck and every package I send gets re-rated significantly and costs much more than I was originally quoted. I am detailed oriented and understand that 11 1/4" is rated at 12" and I understand dimensional weight. Next year I am switching to UPS or another carrier.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Correct, FedEx provides free boxes and their One Rate service compares well with USPS flat rate. I switched my company's shipping to FedEx One Rate years ago and never looked back at USPS.
Great info. I will check on that further. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Great info. I will check on that further. Thanks.
The FedEx plastic paks are the best deal, as long as your box fits in the pak it will ship at the lower rate. We bought boxes sized to fit from Uline and have had great success with this. One thing I should point out, the average box size we ship using the FedEx pak is roughly 3X6X9, larger than that goes in either the FedEx small or medium size boxes.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The aforementioned dummies that Gunner50 were delivered (ahem) repeatedly to a small PO 45 miles away. Finally, yesterday, I received them. The box CLEARLY has my correct name and address on it. The town it had been misdirected to has nothing in common with my town (i.e., not like Dulles and Dallas.)

I bought a rare item recently, and told the seller to hold it until after Christmas. Likewise, I'm holding a M142 cradle for an M60, that sucker can punch through any box with enough abuse.

I got screwed last Christmas, buyer got an empty box. I still had to pay USPS for a Flat Rate Medium. Huh? You think at least they'd refund shipping.

The problem with USPS, like many places (and all USGOV) is the management. Our local staff is great. Above them, not so much. And further upstream, complete incompetence. You should hear some of the dumbass blame and worthless training the local staff suffer. Remember, USPS is the First Swamp.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
The bad part I notised that it was wrong before I left the post office .and went back to the counter and ask him to check because the package is not going to North Rose like it said on the receipt...I was told that sometimes if it's a small town the name may come up as something else...Guess he did not want to go in the back and double check...So I said OK and left...When I got home I looked up North Rose and found it was not even close to where it was addressed to...Sent a PM to buyer giving him a heads up to the mistake...Looks like they figured it out once they read the address on the box 🤪.........A week later I sent a 50.T&H gage to Tierra Verde , FL ...The receipt says it going to Saint Petersburg...Tracking shows it was delivered monday...Hope it got there OK because the buyer won't return PM's when I asked for a address confirm.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I WAS a UPS shipper , been with them for almost 50 years . Have not shipped for several years now . I'd get a quote , ship an item to a customer who paid the freight , then a month or two later they would send me an adjustment to the bill ( up of course , usually almost double ) . If I have to use them , I go to a mail box store and pay them .
Chris

21 - 40 of 73 Posts