1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The bottom definitely is the SS mount (missing 1 rear leg) but the head assembly is all different. Looks custom made unless its 1 of those ultra rare German captured Vickers with adapted tripod and capture papers:D

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The tripod is one of the export ZB37 designs. It is not the standard Czech issue tripod. Quite a few different MGs have been adapted to all the different 37 tripods.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I can't find a way to link one of my earlier posts. but its under " ID this tripod " if you want to see some good pics of one of these. Bob ID'd it before as the Alfa 44 Spanish HMG tripod. But what little I was able to find out about the Alfa 44 lead me to find out that Spain wanted to make their own HMG and came up with the Alfa 44; for which they used several different tripods. They were unsuccessful on the international market selling the platform to any other countries except Egypt. Egypt required that the gun run on 308, have a heavy finned barrel unlike the 44s and specified the mount as well . The Egyptian version is known as the Alfa 55 and the tripod nomenclature is in Farsi. I think these mounts are all for the Alfa 55 not the 44 but the Farsi is a dead give away. None of the pics I've seen for an actual early Spanish 44 used this mount or used or had this spring buffered top section. Nice gun and nice mount. I'd like to take a better look at that adapter.
The tripod is one of the export ZB37 designs. It is not the standard Czech issue tripod. Quite a few different MGs have been adapted to all the different 37 tripods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts