1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the slit is smashed down on one of my kits. Is this OK to use? What is the purpose of this slit? Auto part Pipe Rim Metal Steel

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
unless it bothers you cosmetically its fine, I believe the slot was just for peening a small portion of the ring into the barrel jacket notch to keep the barrel booster from unscrewing. Its only a 5 to 8 dollar fix if you want a new one

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Ajm42 is correct. The purpose of the lock rings is to prevent the booster/bearing and/or the muzzle plug from shooting loose. You don't have to bother with staking/penning the band into the half round hole, a little Locktite will do the job. These bands were considered a one-time use item. It appears that your band is on backwards the thinner area is spread into the half round hole in the booster/bearing with a punch.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
You definitely do want that ring locked, or use Loctite.
Having your booster go flying 20 feet down range is VERY embarrassing. :eek:
(Happened to me last summer.)

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Oooooh - that sounds like the voice of experience? :eek:

I've had em' loosen up a few turns, but always caught it before anything went flying.....guess I'm lucky.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ajm42 is correct. The purpose of the lock rings is to prevent the booster/bearing and/or the muzzle plug from shooting loose. You don't have to bother with staking/penning the band into the half round hole, a little Locktite will do the job. These bands were considered a one-time use item. It appears that your band is on backwards the thinner area is spread into the half round hole in the booster/bearing with a punch.
That makes perfect sense. I did read in the military manuals that it is discarded and replaced during rebuild but now I know how it is staked.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Just bear in mind that you will have to, periodically, pull the booster to clean the carbon deposits. So, staking or locktite, whatever you use to secure it, don't over do it as you want to be able to get it back apart without making it harder than necessary. I just use a rubber strap wrench to tighten my bearings and rarely have one rotate loose under firing. Like my friend brassmagnet, maybe I am just lucky.... no pun intended!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Just bear in mind that you will have to, periodically, pull the booster to clean the carbon deposits. So, staking or locktite, whatever you use to secure it, don't over do it as you want to be able to get it back apart without making it harder than necessary. I just use a rubber strap wrench to tighten my bearings and rarely have one rotate loose under firing. Like my friend brassmagnet, maybe I am just lucky.... no pun intended!
Lucky is right if using Lockite remember the Brylcream jingle "a little dab will do-ya". Do not ask how I know this. The tank gun and early M1919's didn't have the bands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts