1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an SG bottom plate recently for what I though was a steal at a local show (5$). Upon closer inspection when I got the piece home, I found that there were hairline cracks in the bottom plate just above most of the rivet holes on the left side. Along with these hairline cracks are upward bulges in the vertical extension of the bottom plate at the same rivet holes as if someone had set the rivets with too much force. The right side of the bottom plate doesn't exhibit the same cracks or upward bulges. I thought that this bottom plate would make a great spare but given its condition and the cracks seen, I'm not sure. Is this piece safe to use, can it be repaired or should it be scrapped? Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

stingray656667

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Well, given the scarcity of original bottom plates on the loose in recent years, it has become fairly common to repair a crack such as you describe. I've not seen one with one side cracked at every rivet hole, but it's possible. Probably it is more work that its worth, however. Such welded holes can be susceptible to cracking again, especially if a hydraulic press is used for the new rivets. Given that you can get a new made KMP or Iron Creations bottom plate for about $155-175, you might consider how much effort you would have in fixing that, just for comparison.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cracks in bottom plate rivet holes

Definitely four but possibly five rivet holes have cracks that can be seen with the naked eye or even better with a magnifying glass. I'm going to have a buddy of mine who is a welder by trade take a look at this plate and see if there is a good way to repair it or reinforce the damaged areas. I'm going to hold onto it for the moment but will post the bottom plate as available if I decide to part with it. Thank you very much for the replies.

stingray656667

1 - 4 of 4 Posts