1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out....

I've got a linker for my beltfed 1919, and the USGI links I was trying to use for .308 were simply too tight to allow the weapon to strip off the rounds. It was suggested to use Israeli links, as they made them for .308 rather than trying to use 30-06 ones. So I just got in a bunch of Israeli links. Going to put together my first belt, only to discover the Israeli links will fit 10 rounds in the same spot USGI links will for 11. Is this normal, or did I get bad links? What are my options?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Izzy links

Izzy links are what you need for .308 because the case dimensions differ from 30-06. As you found out USGI links are too tight for the action to strip the next round. Don't be concerned about the differences in length you've noticed comparing linked rounds. USGI links are great for 30-06 and 8x57, some also use Izzy links for them. Izzy links are also the choice for 762x54R. As a side note some linkers work fine with either type, mine (made by? ) will link 20 rounds of .308 with Izzy links, but only 10 rounds of 30-06 with USGI links. Simply relates to the spacing by whoever made it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, it sounds like I'll need to make a new bottom plate and face for the linker I've got, or else sell the one I've got and get a different one. Or else limit the number of links I can load at a time as it makes them fan out when they're pressed in.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
The spacing for Izzy links on a loader should be 9/16" center to center.
Look here at Nosegunner's site;
http://browningmgs.com/Linker.htm

I made my own from aluminum plate with a wood base on a mill. You can make you own on a router table out of wood just as easy.

Some links do have different spacing, that is a given. Thankfully, the pawls on the various guns can't seem to tell the difference. Being military grade, they have all kinds of slop built in to avoid seizures in the field.
It's not like it's a Swiss watch. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts