1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, decided to make a profile here after lurking for a few years because I just got a brand new KMP M2HB semi-auto build and I'm having some trouble with it.

Gun came in to me today and I just got it assembled and tried to test fire it after assembling it per the instructions sent with it from KMP plus watching multiple Marine Corps and Army training videos. Gun is assembled correctly and headspaced.

On a side note I am familiar with Browning style belt-fed machine guns I have two M1919A4s that run perfectly. These issues with the M2HB are different than any I've ever had with the M1919s.

I'm having an issue where it won't fire more than one round. It won't pull the links over after the first shot unless I manually push it over until it clicks on the feed pawl. The feed pawl is not moving over the next linked round of ammunition.

The shell casing is also sticking in the bolt face at the rearward most portion of the travel on the bolt when it does fire a round and not ejecting the spent casing downward until I manually pull the charging handle to the rear several times.

I spent about 45min trying to get it to work with no luck. I ran about half a can of Rem oil on all the parts as well to try to help it get lubed up.

Do you have any suggestions for me? I'm really trying to get this working by tomorrow for my 4th of July party.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have ya called KMP?
I got the gun on Friday afternoon and I think they were out of there for the 4th already.

I actually got the issue fixed. Based on what one of my Marine friends told me based on pictures I sent him it was the Alternative Feed Knob inside the bolt.

KMP had installed it backwards. The gun was set up for left hand feeding but the Feed Knob was set up for right hand. The Feed Pawl was being forced into the wrong track and physically couldn't move over the linked ammo.

I flipped it around and I was in business.

·
11,291 Posts
sorry for the delay in this posting. apparently i have to approve first posts from new members and didn't see the notification.

thanks for the photos and the followup discussing your findings.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
It's not unusual for those that shoot .50 BMG to load their own. Even at today's prices for cases..(pre-1995 for case life),powder,primers and projo's,you should be able to load for just a bit over $1.75 @ and it gets cheaper every time you reload them. Of course,what you use to reload them can get pricey. After over 30+yrs of loading .50 BMG with the RCBS Ammo-Load,I finally broke down and got the Dillon Big Fifty. What a change...!! Cuts my reloading time by 1/2 and sizes the cases much easier. Wish I could shoot my FA and SA M2HB's more...but no place around me to do so. I'll just reload and continue to stock up with 'precious metals'...brass,primers,projo's and powder. My present cost of a rd of .50 BMG...$0.68.

·
11,291 Posts
len, how do you build up to $1.75 for a loaded round?

i have not bought components for a little while but
primer .30
brass .25
bullet .25
powder .29? ($10/lb 200 grain load)

this is still $1.10 and you can find ammo at or around $1.75-2.00 or at least you could from reputable reloaders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many loads can you get per casing before it stretches too much and splits? Or you have issues with the rim shearing off?

·
Registered
884 Posts
That's a pretty impressive pile of casings and links lol. Estimate on round count?

Where do you buy the ammo? Just deals online?
Well each can has a 100rd belt so there's a thousand rds, I think I went through 1500 rds that shoot.
$1.85- $3.00 pre round depending on the round. Different places over time just keep a eye out and buy what you can afford when you find a decent deal.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Depending on what type projo and quantity of powder you buy and where determines you cost of reloading. Yes...you can load for less than $1.75 @ and that is a ball-park figure to include varying costs. Try to buy new .50 BMG ball projo's from anywhere...that's my point. As any reloader knows,your reload can be tailored precisely for your gun and be more accurate than any factory round.
For example,the Hornady A-Max 750 gr. boat-tail match grade projo...just the bullet... costs in excess of $2.50 @...but holds the current world record for accuiracy at 1K-yds. Yep...that round is now costing you in excess of $3.00 to load.
Again...depends on what,where and how much you buy will certainly reduce your cost.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
As Len says, it really depends on how much you buy. I got 50 BMG ammo shipped on pallets, in large qty in years past and paid $1.55 / rd Shipping cost for the pallet was about $260 from West coast. I tripped into a large multi cal ammo deal, including 7,000 rds of new facory LC 50 BMG in cans and links ($1.35/rd) . Had to write a BIG check for all of the different ammo, but made 2x+ that selling off what I did not need. Ended up with plenty of 50 BMG. Trophy wife bought me a Dillon 50 loader for christmas a few years back, and I have lots of components. I reload it 'cause it is fun. the key to any of this being cost effective is to buy in VOLUME, and buy when it is cheap, not when you need it. Our C&R 50 Browning gets a fair amount of use, and Trophy wife enjoys blasting cars and appliances into flaming wrecks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
All of the 50 projos I've found and bought lately have been in the $.40 to $.45 each range... I'd LOVE to find them for $.25 each!!!

If you think the Big 50 is expensive, don't even think about getting into 416 Barrett.... :rolleyes: There you're looking at around $8 per round for factory ammunition. Heck, even my reloads are still $4 to $5 each depending upon what projo I use. But it sure is accurate!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was buying 50 cal cans full of pulled projectiles (600+ ea) for $90 a can. API and APIT. Still have a dozen cans at least. See comments about buy when cheap and in volume. Was able to drive over and pick up. Guy had retired, bought a pallet of them and was tired of moving / storing them. This stuff pops up, networking and letting folks know you are interested is key. there is a metric boatload of stuff folks have purchased and dropped into their garage. At some point they get tired of moving it. Parts kits, Guns, ammo, reloading stuff . Garage sales, local auctions. Heck I even post of CList for a WTB for MG parts etc. Right now is not the time to be stocking up. But if you are buying something like powder, buy 30-40 lb in 8lb jugs for the same hazmat fee as a 1 lb container. That said, most places are out right now. If anyone is in the Minneapolis / ST paul area, I would be happy to share purchasing power / group buys, and I as an FFL ( type 7) I get dealer pricing at places like Black Hills Shooters supply. They are pretty much out too by the way.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ahhh... that would make some sense. Those of us living in dry western states with high fire danger cannot really shoot any API/APIT.... Wish I could because I've seen it offered cheap.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
A few years ago I picked up 1500 proj of API for .15 each...But there are no ranges around here that will let me shoot it...So I bought a couple K's of ball for around .30...And now the API just sits....Also the API has some pretty heavy pull marks and needs to be resized so that's another reason why it sits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts