1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
My mistake...I meant to say the cartridge holder adapters are what I wished I would've a LOT more from Sarco when they had them. I'm going to have to go through my ammo cans and count how many of each item I actually have since I misplaced my inventory sheet for this .22lr conversion. Thanks for the heads up on Apex as I never thought to look there. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
As a side note: Please note that the C5A1 is not using the regular belt and cartridge adapter and adapterc-clip. They are just the cartridge holder and the M13 links. The only extra thing I had to do was make sure there was no rough machining marks on the cartridge holders and no burrs on the M13 links to slow down the feeding of the belts.

On my M3 and M4 belts I use both metallic links and cloth belts. I find the cloth belts are easier on the guns. To load the belts I use a metal cross bar on my regular metaliic link loader. Lay the belt with cartridge adapters and adapter links onto the linker and ease the loaded cartridge holders into the belt. I usually take the extra loaded cartridge holders to the range and let the other folks load the belts if they want to shoot the guns. I had one guy who did not want to shoot the gun he just wanted to load the belts. Go figure!
Can you explain loading the holders into a cloth belt better? I’m doing metal links right now but would rather use cloth belts but by hand can’t get the nose through enough to put the clip on. Using used belts. I have a tray linker.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A couple points I have discovered with my 17A1 22LR conversion. First I use CCI Stingers and it runs great. Not the cheapest ammo, but the added power of these rounds definitely cycle the gun. It probably has a cyclic rate greater than the gun in 30-06. I think I have mentioned this second point over on G503 concerning the piston cup getting fouled. With the 22LR being fairly dirty ammo and there is leading on the face of the piston cup, I have found using a 6 flute 1" end mill that I turn by hand really removes the buildup in the cup. I also always leave the brass catcher sheet metal part on the gun, since I reload 30-06. It's easier to collect that brass with the bag.
The suppressor idea has now got me thinking about doing that as well.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Ya know that is a great idea for the 22 set up! I had not considered it but I bet it would be the perfect candidate for a suppressor.

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
267 Posts
Back in 2013 when I ordered a bunch of stuff from Tom at Beltfed Plus he advised me that a second barrel, threaded to accept a suppressor, would work really well so I ordered that threaded barrel as well.

fjruple: that setup you have for your C5A1 is really nice since you only have to deal with having to use the cartridge holders for the .22lr conversion and not the additional adapter and clip per round with the M13 links...jealous!

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Dolf has been playing with a 22 cal conversion that uses feed strips like a Hotchkiss, he uses the original cartridge holders and they go into a S&W 38 cal empty case that is attached to the feed strip which is much easier to deal with. he made 20 or 25 round feed strips and it works.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Dolf has been playing with a 22 cal conversion that uses feed strips like a Hotchkiss, he uses the original cartridge holders and they go into a S&W 38 cal empty case that is attached to the feed strip which is much easier to deal with. he made 20 or 25 round feed strips and it works.
Uhhhhhhmmm. PICTURES! Please

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Can you explain loading the holders into a cloth belt better? I’m doing metal links right now but would rather use cloth belts but by hand can’t get the nose through enough to put the clip on. Using used belts. I have a tray linker.
On cloth belts I would take a cartridge adapter with empty cartridge holder attached and stand them up on a table or flat surface then take the cloth belt and force the adapter in the pocket in the belt until the "tit" is stick out the other end of the belt for the c-clip and you wll do the next cartrtidge adapter the same way. I normally start the c-clip on the first "tit" to keep the cartridge adapter from slipping out of position and connect it to the second cartridge adapter to keep then securely in place. Repeat the process until the cloth belt is loaded with cartridge adapters and c-clips you are ready the load you cartridge holders.

Placing the cartridge adapters and the adapter c-clips into the cloth belt is a pain in the *ss but once in it is easy to load the preloaded cartridge holders into the belt without busting your fingers. I place a metal bar in front of my metallic linker that rest on the holes where the cartridges normally goes through went inserting them into the metallic links. The metal bar acts as a brace against the front of your cloth or metallic belt with your cartridge adapters installed.. I will place a loaded cartridge holder into one of the grooves in the metallic linker which is lined up behind one of the back cartridge adapters in the belt and gently push the loaded cartridge holder into the belt . Please be careful as the rim of the .22LR cartridge can be exposed and any sudden strike could set off the cartridge. Not a lot of force is required to get the cartridge holder into the cartridge adapter in the belt. I also load the cartridge holders with the .22LR cartridges the same way. Fast easy and not busting your fingers. I have found that either CCI Mini Mags or Federal Game-shok Copper plated HV work the best in my guns.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I have also modified my pistons to the last version of the drawing put out on the M3 and M4 .22LR conversion. Most of the gas piston out there are the solid type which lead up pretty quickly. The last variant has a space on the piston to gather up the lead fouling push it out the bottom of the gun. getting them to work right can be a bit of a chore but when they run they are fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Uhhhhhhmmm. PICTURES! Please
I don't have pictures but when I am down at Dolf's next month I will get some and post them here, it is a very cool set up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have also modified my pistons to the last version of the drawing put out on the M3 and M4 .22LR conversion. Most of the gas piston out there are the solid type which lead up pretty quickly. The last variant has a space on the piston to gather up the lead fouling push it out the bottom of the gun. getting them to work right can be a bit of a chore but when they run they are fun to shoot.
Can you post a pic or the drawing of the piston modification?

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
The drawing number is C64324d, 5th revision dated February 26, 1942. There may be later ones as well. But this is the drawing I used. For some reason, the website will not let me post this drawing.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
I have the drawings also and will try to get them posted. Use that model for mine and it works fine but some prefer the solid pistons.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm excited to see all this discussion on the .22lr conversions for the 1919 and potential for Dolf's Hotchkiss feed strip set up. I'll try to keep acquiring parts (and knowledge) over the winter and hope to have mine up and running come Spring.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts