1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. im a new member and was hoping someone here could help me out.
i have been trying to find a 308 belt feed pawl with no luck. is it possible to bend a 3006 belt feed pawl arm to use in a 308 top cover? (for 308 ammo)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

cheers

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Do you have a USGI, 30-06 feed pawl? If so, just test fire the gun with that. In my experience, that will work just fine for 7.62 NATO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a USGI, 30-06 feed pawl? If so, just test fire the gun with that. In my experience, that will work just fine for 7.62 NATO.
thanks Lucky#13. i have not test fired it yet. but the belt feed pawl rides on the link of the cartridge when i dry cycle it.
i know about pushing the 3006 link forward on a 308 round to avoid it, but its something i don't want to bother doing when im loading the links.

id like to grind out the feed pawl guide, bend the feed pawl arm, and not have to worry about the loading depth of the 3006 links on 308 rounds.

is it possible?

P.S. i would only be using spare parts easily available to me.

thanks

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
thanks Lucky#13. i have not test fired it yet. but the belt feed pawl rides on the link of the cartridge when i dry cycle it.
i know about pushing the 3006 link forward on a 308 round to avoid it, but its something i don't want to bother doing when im loading the links.

id like to grind out the feed pawl guide, bend the feed pawl arm, and not have to worry about the loading depth of the 3006 links on 308 rounds.

is it possible?

P.S. i would only be using spare parts easily available to me.

thanks
I don't think you will have much of an issue with the seating depth, at least not relating to the feed pawl. That issue is mostly due to the longer 30-06 right rear cartridge stop, specifically with clearance for link ejection. The dog-leg Izzy feed arm on the pawl can be forged out of the -06 pawl, as I have seen examples that OOW did at one time. I'd want to heat the arm before bending. But I really would try shooting it first. Seat the 308 rounds as normal, try it and see what happens. My guess is all will work fine.

I tried to get more 308 feed pawls at KCR, but the vendor who has had them for the past year did not have them this time. I just have too few to spare, since I have to use them for builds from time to time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think you will have much of an issue with the seating depth, at least not relating to the feed pawl. That issue is mostly due to the longer 30-06 right rear cartridge stop, specifically with clearance for link ejection. The dog-leg Izzy feed arm on the pawl can be forged out of the -06 pawl, as I have seen examples that OOW did at one time. I'd want to heat the arm before bending. But I really would try shooting it first. Seat the 308 rounds as normal, try it and see what happens. My guess is all will work fine.

I tried to get more 308 feed pawls at KCR, but the vendor who has had them for the past year did not have them this time. I just have too few to spare, since I have to use them for builds from time to time.
thanks again Lucky#13. i have heard the same thing from other people, but questioned it because.. "why did the izzy's modify it?". i guess i should just try it out, and see how she goes.

my time to try it may be running out because the stupid government currently in power up here. i better get on it!:(

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
thanks again Lucky#13. i have heard the same thing from other people, but questioned it because.. "why did the izzy's modify it?". i guess i should just try it out, and see how she goes.

my time to try it may be running out because the stupid government currently in power up here. i better get on it!:(
The belt feed pawl performs two functions. It advances the belt with the cycling of the bolt and the finger prevents double feeding and jamming if a cartridge is not extracted from the belt. The Izzys modified the finger to move its point of contact with the cartridge farther to the rear to insure enough lift to prevent jamming as the 7.62X51 is about 1/2 inch shorter than the .30 caliber round. This also required milling away part of the belt feed slide and a portion of the adjacent top cover. As Lucky says the USGI pawl will most likely work the Izzys were concerned about absolute reliability in combat situations.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Reactions: Mr.Maim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The belt feed pawl performs two functions. It advances the belt with the cycling of the bolt and the finger prevents double feeding and jamming if a cartridge is not extracted from the belt. The Izzys modified the finger to move its point of contact with the cartridge farther to the rear to insure enough lift to prevent jamming as the 7.62X51 is about 1/2 inch shorter than the .30 caliber round. This also required milling away part of the belt feed slide and a portion of the adjacent top cover. As Lucky says the USGI pawl will most likely work the Izzys were concerned about absolute reliability in combat situations.

thanks for your help. its the reliability i was concerned about. but as Lucky#13 said, i should get out to the range see how it runs. maybe ive been over thinking it.:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
thanks for your help. its the reliability i was concerned about. but as Lucky#13 said, i should get out to the range see how it runs. maybe ive been over thinking it.:eek:
No one will (hopefully) be shooting at you either, so reliability as the Izzys saw it would be just an inconvenience to you.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

FINALLY! This is the first time I have read what the function of the finger is for. Thanks kkkriverrats.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts