1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbie tripod question.

What is the difference between a WW2 USGI M2 tripod and an Izzy M2 (which was WW2 USGI) ? Is it nothing more than holes in the feet and maybe some paint? or is there a difference in dimensions or markings?

trying to decide if I want to restore an izzy or find an intact ww2 M2.

thanks,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You also have to throw in the Izzy produced M2 tripod.

fjruple

View attachment 17488
ya, but... i'm after a historic WW2 M2 tripod with a data tag or stamps. Whether that's resurrecting a converted izzy or spending the extra money on a collectable WW2 M2. from my understanding (correct me if i'm wrong) the Izzy made M2's have a longer front leg and have formed feet rather than the welded feet. :conf:

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
ya, but... i'm after a historic WW2 M2 tripod with a data tag or stamps. Whether that's resurrecting a converted izzy or spending the extra money on a collectable WW2 M2. from my understanding (correct me if i'm wrong) the Izzy made M2's have a longer front leg and have formed feet rather than the welded feet. :conf:
You know I never really noted that. I will have to check. The Izzy produced M2 does have the holes in the feet for the "sand stakes".

--fjruple

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
The bulged feet were USGI guys and you can see examples at Browningmgs.com the izzy's did add the holes but they are easy to reverse (I have done two of them) and most were in the lend lease program so they had US data plates. They were also issued parkerized but many painted them in the field so that is personal preference on which way you want to go with that.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The WWII M2 tripod USGI had three styles of feet. None had holes, which you already know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts