1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m new to the forum and am looking into my first build or purchase of a semi auto 1919A4.

What is an izzy .308 parts kit going for these days versus a USGI 30-06 kit (if I can even find one)?

I ultimately want a semi auto 1919A4 in 30-06.

Thanks.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Israeli parts kits are running anywhere from about $1k, probably in fairly poor condition at that price, to as high as $1495, retailing at one or more major vendors. Realistically, a decent kit is selling for around $1200-$1300, while you can get lucky and find one lower if you are patient enough.

Last price I saw on a USGI kit was about $1500, but it's been a while. That should go up if Israeli kits truly hit that level themselves. To me, the USGI is worth more as it is more original and rare. The one advantage an Izzy kit may have, for some, is it is slightly more caliber conversion capable.

It is possible to piece a kit together in USGI spec with new left plate and other non-Izzy components, but that is a more expensive route. If you really want something in that line, or original USGI, let me know and I'll see what can be sourced, and for how much. E-mail is rollin13 AT juno DOT com

·
Registered
313 Posts
Izzy kits seem to be going for $1000 to $1500. Mostly in the $1200 area

Not sure on GI kits but they seem to bring a premium. I would think in the range of $1500 to $2200 but may be wrong.

Welcome to the beltfed world.

Junking

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Welcome to our addiction enjoy. Lots of valuable information here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lucky#13

sent you an e-mail about the USGI parts.

1. how obviously different are the izzy kits? In my limited knowledge of the subject, I am only aware of the "7.62" marks on the LSP and an "n" the top cover.
2. why is the izzy more caliber convertible?
3. what should I be expecting to spend on a build? (izzy or USGI, if it's 30-06, purchase a 100% RSP, and have someone else do my semi auto machine work )

just picking your brains and weighing my options.

thanks,
K.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Dorkey Safty bar

If you are building something to display and admire, use the USGI kit. If you are building this to shoot, the Israeli rifle might be a better choice.

Important note: The Israeli kit will come with a safety bar, this dorkey looking attachment on the right side plate that holds the bolt open. This has two advantages: First, if you have been shooting and go down range to admire your target, this holds the next round out of the chamber and prevents a cook-off which can result in your unattended rifle shooting you in the back.

Second, if the rifle is used for a defensive position, a round held back with the safety bar gives an advanced state of readiness. That's the real reason it's there. When deployed in this way, the bolt is open, round ready for transfer into the chamber. A simple drop of the bar and pull of the trigger sends the round downrange. It's faster when parts of a second count.

Don't rivet the bar. Make a little bushing and tap the hole for a 1/4-28 button head screw and use red Loctite.

I like the bars.

Ryland

·
Legendary Donor
2,491 Posts
I'll probably miss some items but these are the highlights.
1) bolt feed way opened up for 7.62
2) lock frame does not have adjustment screw on USGI
3) hole in left side plate
4) rear sight graduations different
5) booster has smaller hole
6) barrels
7) top cover feed pawl is different
8) left side plate belt holding pawl is different
9) right rear cartridge stop is different
10) Israeli has 7.62 feed guides

The thing is the Israeli kits are USGI guns that we gave them and they modified, a few of the parts were made special by them for the conversion.

As to cost:
Kit price $1000-1800
100% side plate varies by manufacturer but around $150 on up to several hundred
Machining of internals including KMP semi auto trigger and sear $200 (me)
Rivets about $20
Bucking bars and setting tool-borrow a set-free
Sand blasting and parkerizing- open cost

Hope that helps

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Great info from Ryland and Brian. In short, the modifications done by the Israelies- in particular the right rear cartridge stop- make 308 a more reliable round than it is in a full USGI configuration. That being said, the USGI gun WILL convert to 308, with just a little bit of care needed in how rounds are linked, with maybe the addition of the modified bolt along with barrel, booster etc. But if one wants the 308 option, the Izzy kit does make more sense as a shooter. Ryland's point is good if one wants a show piece, as USGI is the way to go for that. Brian is the man for internals machine work and your KMP trigger and sear. These guys are two of our finest assets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts