1919 A4 Forums banner

Japanese type 96 convert to x39 have questions

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  IMBLITZVT 
#1 ·
What needs to be modified on the AK mags to get them to work? will drums work?

I know I will need a new barrel and a mag well adapter. Is there any other things that need to be done?

#3 ·
I have been working with a Type 99.
It came to me with one of the 7.62X39 barrels that Jim Langley (Arizona) reworked to fit.
I reached out to him, but Jim is retired now, so I wasn't able to obtain a magazine adapter from him, just one modified AK magazine.
Along the way I located one of the brackets he made to mount the gun to a MG3 A/A tripod!
Unfortunately my Type 99 is late and lacks a feature on the receiver needed to make that adapter attach.
It seems people know what the magazine adapter is, but no one will make them.
So, I guess we both are looking.
I have seen mags that had material welded on so they fit the mag well without the adapter.

#4 ·
You need a new barrel, mag adapter, and slightly modified magazines... at a min...

I have been working on my kit for a long time. Its mostly running... but its taken a lot. I have made a custom firing pin and reworked the mag adapter. 7.62 needs an extended firing pin. I have reworked the gas block. Its not been easy.

I have been looking for extra original gas blocks for a good while... but no luck yet and I am still looking.

Its not been an easy road.

#5 ·
Jim Langley made the gas blocks to use with the barrels he obtained from Chinese ZB kits.
They lack any adjustment for the gas flow.
Firing pin, that would be tough to come up with!
A gent I know works on the Japanese MG's and mentioned that a lot of parts don't interchange between manufacturers.

#6 ·
That is an understatement on not adjustable. I have one of these gas blocks. It was seriously seriously over gassed. I ended up snapping a bolt carrier, I think because of it. I had to drill and tap mine and cut about 90% of the gas flow.

I ended up making my own firing pins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.