·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Jeep Factory in the Phillipines

Interesting story and a popular item to many. I did not notice any information on importation to any US dealers was in the video.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive seen adds for MD Juan in a military truck mag , I belive that they are available here..

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
At one time there was a set of dies there modified to accept stainless steel .Not that purists would want it,the Islanders loved the rust resistance.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Filipino's don't buy jeeps because they like them, it's because they are the cheapest vehicles on the market. Unfortunately, the "new jeeps" are about as low tech as the original willy over there lol.

They are right though, all of the "home-made" vehicles there are based heavily on the jeep, i would even go as far as to saying roughly 50-60% of vehicles there are some sort of jeep variant.

Interesting video!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Filipino's don't buy jeeps because they like them, it's because they are the cheapest vehicles on the market. Unfortunately, the "new jeeps" are about as low tech as the original willy over there lol.
and what's wrong w that ????:confused::)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
low tech? Great!

Hey, I thoroughly enjoy my M38 even if it doesn't have AC. Wish it did, though. It's nice to be able to actually work on the engine without having to hook up three computers to tell you what's wrong.

And yes, these guys have been selling tubs and parts here for many years. Their ads are prominent in the military vehicle magazines.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Go look at G503.com ,,,Also when you see a "perfect" WW2 Jeep,(like on Ebay),,the body(tub) has been replaced. You can get reg metal(pot),or galv. steel. JC Whitney did sell a fiberglass body,or fenders and hoods for WW2,M38,M38A1 jeeps.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Doesn't matter if it's vehicles, guns, or machinery, I see a pattern in the last few yrs, fix what you have, buy older things and restore, rather than buy "new" junk.

Unless the Iron Curtain drops down, I think we're going to see a lot of this in the future, the "re-body" and restoration of proven automotive platforms IF that option is legal, use what you have, and a whole new way to resto-mod old rusty vehicles. Who the hell wants a new car, $500-$600 in payments for 5 yrs, only to have a POS worth NOTHING in 5 yrs? You slowly put that money in a classic, take a few yrs and do it right, you actually have something to show for your money in 5 yrs, perhaps make money if you sell it, a wise investment IMHO.

Me? I have close to 30 yrs of mechanical knowledge, 3 yrs in a classroom in the late 80's to early 90's, the rest turning wrenches and saving history, I personally HATE the new (cheaply-built) high-tech sh*t, because I know what it IS from that experience, I build SOME components for it where I work, I question practically every (sorry-assed) design those idiots come in with, it might look good on paper, costs $4 to make and $36 profit per piece, then you see the component after a 40-60 MPH accident, or it falls apart as you drive it down the road, they have teams of lawyers on speed dial, they buy off entire inspection teams, they sell it anyway and know the risks. :eek:

The drivetrains over the last 15 yrs, it takes approx $10K worth of tools just to service them, otherwise you are forced to pay (out the ass!) for people to do it, and the "dealer item" replacement parts can cost 100-200 times what they are really worth, it takes roughly 5 yrs for aftermarket parts to surface, and by then the vehicle is literally self-destructing, right at the time it's paid for, SUPRISE! :D

You got to love powerful corp BS and this "throw-away" consumer mentality, the slow death of private ol' fashioned ingenuity, anyone with a good (reliable) idea is shunned by so-called "experts". :(

If it wasn't for the EPA and other out-of-control govt agencies, you WOULD see a bunch of cheaper (and older) vehicles today, but those Gestapo agencies too busy banning imports and other competition, trying crushing those classic vehicles en masse, even going so far as to get a court order (in some states) to drag that vehicle off YOUR property. They are trying to force us to have NO choice in the matter, buy over-complicated junk or else, and go @sshole deep in debt to buy their "new" engineering nightmare.

$5K-$7K for a hybrid battery? $10K for an engine that was designed to self-destruct if head gasket or oil seal leaks 5 mins?? They need to step away from the ol' crack pipe, part of their "rehab" would require a day (or a week or two?) wrenching on what BS they designed, that would really break them. I saw this train wreck coming over 15 yrs ago. ;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
I had a 1942 GPW but had to sell it,,,where I live it would be left in a hurricane,,Anyway I hate the little radiators,,,also no room to work on an engine unless you remove A LOT of stuff,,and I hate computers on cars. Make it simple,,but our society is a throw away society. Lawn mower brakes,,trash it and buy a new one,cheaper than paying some guy to fix it. Furniture brakes,,throw it away. No one will fix it. Ammo,,,Brass,,most walk away and leave it,,,I pick it all up,theirs too. Shoes,,,trash them,,,no one will fix them,,except the Korean guy at the mall. Most all we buy is so cheap its not worth fixing. Thanks China and Wal Mart! I for one do not buy China stuff,,,how do you think they get ride of bad stuff in China? Send it to Wal Mart they will sell it!!!

·
Mouse Machine Works
1,994 Posts
jeep fartory in phillipines

Thats what my wife calls me after a bowl of beans.... :p

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jeep fartory in phillipines

Thats what my wife calls me after a bowl of beans.... :p
sorry , more of my ax-murderer spelling slipped out:(

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It's the guys (who CAN fix things) are teaching others old skills, most of the old/reliable machining and tooling was sold to other countries, they copy it and sell us cheap junk, old world ways and apprenticeships coming back fast around here, and I predict small (backwoods) businesses that do this (repair or build quality machinery) can thrive in today's enginneering/production/sales economic mess.

That is, IF the govt allows them to do so, instead of taxing and regulating them to death, govt will try this on a massive scale, they are planning the demise of old tech, forcing us to rely on outsources, wait and see.

·
Mouse Machine Works
1,994 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's the guys (who CAN fix things) are teaching others old skills, most of the old/reliable machining and tooling was sold to other countries, they copy it and sell us cheap junk, old world ways and apprenticeships coming back fast around here, and I predict small (backwoods) businesses that do this (repair or build quality machinery) can thrive in today's enginneering/production/sales economic mess.

That is, IF the govt allows them to do so, instead of taxing and regulating them to death, govt will try this on a massive scale, they are planning the demise of old tech, forcing us to rely on outsources, wait and see.
which is why I collect all the books I can on old stuff like my hendy lathe built in 1918.... If I had to ,I could run it w a Briggs motor on the pedestal:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts