1919 A4 Forums banner

Just bought a 50, which mounts do I want?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Boomerdawg 
#1 ·
I just purchased an M3, and the seller has an impressive collection of accessories for it. I'm not positive I can afford it all, and would like to proritize based on the usability, value, and likelihood of finding another down the road should I pass.

He has an M3 tripod, an M63 AA tripod, and an M24A2 pedestal (on a running M37B); as well as various M2HB parts and spares, ammunition, and a couple 200rd tombstone magazines.

My budget is limited, but this is an investment for me, and I would like to purchase the accessories that will add the most value to the gun as a package. That being said, I also want to use the gun, and tying thousands up in stuff I will never use doesn't make much sense to me.

Those who own the M2/3, what mounts do you prefer for shooting your gun? What is the value of some of these items? I understand the M63 and M24a2 mounts are quite rare. The M37 is familiar to me, as I already own a couple WWII Dodges, but the rest is new territory.

Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
Suggest the M3 tripod with pintle and T&E as an entry level for actual shooting and display. The M63 AA mount is difficult to carry,set up and store. Depending on your situation,if you can afford them,buy everything offered as a 'investment'. All the .50 BMG accessories go up in value every year. M63 AA mounts have exceeded $2K recently...with at least 1-drum.
Speaking of investment,you might get into reloading,especially for the .50BMG.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up both tripods, and he's willing to seperate the M24 pedestal mount from the truck, so I'll get that as well. Perhaps it will go on my WC12.

He also has an original optic in leather case for the gun. He didn't mention a model number, but I might as well get that as well. Try to keep the whole collection together as much as possible.

#5 ·
Sounds like a nice package so make sure you post pictures here when you get it all together. The scope sounds like an early T1 or T3 for the dovetailed rear sight bsae on the early 50's. A few of us here have those and they are a great little piece for the collection, nice score

#6 ·
I have a different option.
Skip the M63, it’s cool for display, but money is better spent elsewhere.

Buy the M3 tripod if it’s reasonable, later buy a cradle for it, either mk64 or mk94. Way better overall solution.

Buy spare parts if reasonable, compete set of internals, a few bolts and little stuff. Everything is getting so hard to find these days, you don’t want later to be down and out when your shooting.

If it’s a MG I’d focus more on parts than stated.

Parts kits are up 30-40% and so are key parts, maybe they’ll go back down but I don’t want to risk it, I’ve been buying 50 parts left and right lately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.