1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Marlin 1918 BAR my first MG so wish me luck on the paperwork and application. It was a toss up between a Thompson and a BAR but my heart was with the BAR馃槂.
It鈥檚 been pleasant being a member of this forum. Lots of nice members and lots of helpful info.

Premium Member
Great job on the BAR! I cant have one because, well... I cant have everything but I've always liked BAR's.

Premium Member
Congrats on the BAR (y) You will be happy with it and it looks like a beauty.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So now I鈥檓 wondering how much I should shoot an original marlin WW1 barrel without affecting its throat and muzzle erosion? Should I shoot it sparingly or not worry so much?
What do most guys do with the NFA items?

Premium Member
I agree with Rory (OMG did I say that out loud?) Get a donor barrel and shoot the heck out of it and have fun.

Registered
APEX Gun Parts has quite a bit of BAR material:

1918 BAR category

We have new made 1918 BAR barrels from OOW.
I also have a LOT of used barrels from various makers.
The SKU's were set up long ago but for some reason the barrels have never made it to the photo booth!

Richard

Registered
Sniff, sniff, (walking away cradleing his OOW SEMI-AUTO BAR)..... well, you're cool too he thinks to himself. "Stupid old CA.... you'd have one too - if only they'd let me" he thinks to himself. Oh well, the pics look great.

Registered
Now my next question...
Where can I get a TE/ME gauge and headspace gauges for the BAR?
Will an M1 TE gauge work?
The barrel crushes on. Basically there is a mark on the receiver and a Mark on the barrel. They line up and then you are done. FYI it takes a lot of force to put on a new never installed barrel. It took me and my dad with a 10 foot cheater to put on a new barrel on my 1918a3 kit. I talked to OOW and they said don鈥檛 worry about the receiver it can handle the force. I guess it was the way OOW originally put barrels on.

Registered
I鈥檒l take a few pictures of my spare barrel later today in case you鈥檙e interested in buying it. I鈥檓 thinking $375 for it. It鈥檚 an original GI barrel.

Registered
Here are some pics of the barrel. Both muzzle and chamber are naked 4.0 from when I bought it over 10 years ago. Nice shiney bore I tried my best to get bore pics but I鈥檝e never been good at that.
Office supplies Writing implement Wood Stationery Writing instrument accessory

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Rim Cylinder

Pen Writing implement Office supplies Writing instrument accessory Office instrument

Brown Writing implement Office supplies Cosmetics Office equipment

Cylinder Auto part Gas Gun accessory Metal

Pen Writing implement Office supplies Office equipment Tints and shades

Automotive tire Wood Cloud Audio equipment Automotive wheel system

Wood Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Rim

Tire Automotive tire Carbon Household hardware Rim

Automotive tire Office supplies Rim Cylinder Bicycle part

Premium Member
Now my next question...
Where can I get a TE/ME gauge and headspace gauges for the BAR?
Will an M1 TE gauge work?
TE gauges dont really work without a reference point to know where it started out. I have pre-may BAR that came with a '53 dated barrel. I put over 20K rounds through that barrel and it wasn't new when I got it. I bought a new barrel from OOW and it was around $400 with the gas block pinned in place and front sight - - which pressing on is no simple job. The new OOW barrel gauges the same at the throat as the '53 barrel I removed.

How much are you going to shoot the gun? If you're only going to shoot it 1000rds a year I'd keep the original barrel on it. You're not doing to decrease the value any and its not worth risking damage to the receiver.

My BAR gets shot often, I've been buying .30-06 in bulk since the early 90s when LC was .10 a shot through CMP clubs. My original barrel was replaced because I could no longer hold a good group at 500yds. If that type of accuracy isn't a concern, just keep the original barrel.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts