1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend and fellow special ops guy from Britain just emailed me that the European union wants to change the law on dummy guns to prohibit all dummy guns. I am not sure if this thing will go through but if it does allot of collectors will be hurt and allot of fine examples of weapons will meet some fate. I don't know if you guys look at some of the historic firearms you can buy in Europe demilled but not cut up. Some great prices as well. Of course cant get them here. But I hope for them it does not go through. This is I am sure another play by the politically correct to make all right in the world . Or did I mean all left in the world!!!!!!

118 Posts
A good friend and fellow special ops guy from Britain just emailed me that the European union wants to change the law on dummy guns to prohibit all dummy guns. I am not sure if this thing will go through but if it does allot of collectors will be hurt and allot of fine examples of weapons will meet some fate. I don't know if you guys look at some of the historic firearms you can buy in Europe demilled but not cut up. Some great prices as well. Of course cant get them here. But I hope for them it does not go through. This is I am sure another play by the politically correct to make all right in the world . Or did I mean all left in the world!!!!!!
I don't know if we can get them or not. But Canadians can for certain. They have pretty much no import bans. Go give them a heads-up as well.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
we can't get them, because the receiver are real and not demilled
This is not correct. Any MG can be imported if the receiver and barrel meet the current US import requirements for destruction.
Receivers of Brit deactivated MGs can be torched and barrels removed and the receiver pieces and all remaining parts can be imported with submission of appropriate import forms.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,148 Posts
Been there! Think i have the t shirt somewhere.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
This is not correct. Any MG can be imported if the receiver and barrel meet the current US import requirements for destruction.
Receivers of Brit deactivated MGs can be torched and barrels removed and the receiver pieces and all remaining parts can be imported with submission of appropriate import forms.
then that wouldn't be a dummy gun, that would be a parts kit, two totally different things. GSG asked about the import-ability of a dummy gun.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
"...then that wouldn't be a dummy gun, that would be a parts kit, two totally different things. GSG asked about the import-ability of a dummy gun."

Well, that is exactly how you can import a dummy gun!! Cut it up, import it, add a barrel, weld the receiver back to dummy specs or supply a new made dummy receiver and there's your imported dummy gun……..pretty simple!
I know of at least half a dozen very unusual Brit spec dummy guns that have been imported this way since it is the ONLY way they are going to come into the US. Certainly worth doing with really unusual MGs that had the misfortune of being deacs in GB. Five of the six were imported to be used to build transferable examples.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,148 Posts
Bob, dont argue! The fewer people that understand how this works, especially those that are certain they already know, then the fewer potential bidders there are for the rare and unusual guns i like so much.

Slowfire, pay no attention to the man spouting knowledge gained from experience. There is nothing to see here. I personally think he is tying to lead you astray!

btw they are called deacts in the british market and are papered as such.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
So you are expecting the owner of a dummy gun in Europe to have access to a Oxyacetylene torch, and to take the time to make the required 4 passes, and to drill the required 3 holes in the BBL? Sounds like an awful lot of work for the poor sap whos just trying to sell a war relic.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,148 Posts
Well you could surrender it if the value was not there and just let them melt it down.
Its actually more complicated than what your stating as once you start messing with the receiver the gun goes from a deact back to a live gun under uk law, thus it can only be handled by a company qualified to handle it. It's not going to be worthwhile for the single 1919 or Russian maxim. I paid 10k for the last deact I brought out, plus labor to cut it, plus an airline ticket to the us, plus about a year to get paperwork in order. Figure $3000 as a minimum cost to get into us, plus whatever the deact costs.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
"So you are expecting the owner of a dummy gun in Europe to have access to a Oxyacetylene torch, and to take the time to make the required 4 passes, and to drill the required 3 holes in the BBL? Sounds like an awful lot of work for the poor sap whos just trying to sell a war relic."

Well, put it this way: money talks. I don't expect anything of anyone who doesn't have something that I value or my customer values, but if someone does, then there are many ways to proceed. Vast majority of MG enthusiasts have no interest in rare vintage MGs nor the stamina to go after them wherever they are if outside the US, but the few who do are willing and able. There are some exceedingly rare and interesting, papered deacs in GB and elsewhere that are well worth investing the time and money to bring them to the US for those who want them. Prepping and processing these guns is the comparatively easy part. Often, getting the owners, if they are private individuals and not dealers, to part with them is the hard part.
As Jmann suggests, nothing to see here……..

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
"So you are expecting the owner of a dummy gun in Europe to have access to a Oxyacetylene torch, and to take the time to make the required 4 passes, and to drill the required 3 holes in the BBL? Sounds like an awful lot of work for the poor sap whos just trying to sell a war relic."

Well, put it this way: money talks. I don't expect anything of anyone who doesn't have something that I value or my customer values, but if someone does, then there are many ways to proceed. Vast majority of MG enthusiasts have no interest in rare vintage MGs nor the stamina to go after them wherever they are if outside the US, but the few who do are willing and able. There are some exceedingly rare and interesting, papered deacs in GB and elsewhere that are well worth investing the time and money to bring them to the US for those who want them. Prepping and processing these guns is the comparatively easy part. Often, getting the owners, if they are private individuals and not dealers, to part with them is the hard part.
As Jmann suggests, nothing to see here……..
I guess Im in the poor mans mindset of 'who the hell is going to pay over 10K for a parts kit'.....but I guess there are guys out there with far deeper wallets than myself.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,148 Posts
I guess Im in the poor mans mindset of 'who the hell is going to pay over 10K for a parts kit'.....but I guess there are guys out there with far deeper wallets than myself.
Well if you show me where to get a swiss maxim or an enfield british maxim for less than that, im all ears. If you have never seen one in person, then your not alone. Price is irrelivent if the math works. You wouldnt pay 10k for a parts kit to build a 30-50 thousand plus dollar gun, but seems most guys on this site will gladly spend 500-1000 for a parts kit thats worth 700-1200 as a built gun.

Its not a matter of how deep ones pockets are as much as it is a matter of how one chooses to allocate whats in the pockets. Although i will admit, that not basing my purchasing decisions on inital cost, rather on return and value, has contributed greatly to my ability to pull more out of my pockets over the years simply because they fill up faster.

i learned a long time ago, folks pockets never deepen if they dont think they can, and are content to believe others got theirs by luck. Ive had great sucess learning from those older, wiser and richer than me. I plan to continue that course for now.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i learned a long time ago, folks pockets never deepen if they dont think they can, and are content to believe others got theirs by luck. Ive had great sucess learning from those older, wiser and richer than me. I plan to continue that course for now.
Yep, I've always said, "act as if". And I have yet to meet the guy that got his by "luck"!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts