1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first 1919 kit just arrived tonight :D

All I can say is wow these things have a lot of parts... most of which look nothing like any of my other belt fed kits. So I think the best course of action is check and make sure I have everything and nothing is damaged beyond repair.

Can anybody point me in the right direction for a good exploded view of the gun? I'd really like to learn the function and correct name for each part... since it would make asking questions much easier. My kit is an Izzy .308 so every single part is dissembled... and mix of new parts in oily, rotten paper or what appear to be clean used parts completely caked in cosmoline.... which I'm attacking right now. Fortunately the bolt was stripped so I didn't have a loaded "rod of death" waiting for me in the box. What common trouble spots should I be looking for?

Can anybody recommend a good book on 1919s perhaps? I'd love to figure out who made what parts on my gun... I see some small Rock Island parts, and I have believe I have a milled trunnion, haven't found any markings on my LSP yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Dolfs book is a great one to start with.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
On this site click on Articles tab at the top left then manuals on the left side then on read more then SNL A-6 1947.pdf you can down load and print what is the Sears catalog of the M1919's lots of pictures.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Congratulations! and Welcome Aboard!

The above references are a great place to start. Also, Charlie is very modest, but go to this website for additional information..................http://m1919tech.com/index.html

As you need, feel free to ask away. If you're not sure of a proper name to a part, just describe it the best you can and someone will jump in to help "educate" you. You mentioned other belt-fed kits, so I'll assume you already know to stock up on ammo! :rofl:

Matt

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies guys,

As you can see from my join date.... I've lurked from time to time for quite a while. I wish I had bought a kit sooner... but oh well its only money. I just didn't want another bulky kit that required another tripod to trip over. But I solved that... I have a Izzy "a6" conversion kit on the way, and an Ohio Black Sheep crank setup :cool:

I've already snagged some 100 round belts from Sarco (and read mixed reviews on them), plan to pick up some Israeli cloth belts too. Got a 100 30.06 links (just to play with), and 1000 Israeli links on the way.

Where can I purchase Dolf's book on 1919s, as well as his recoil rod tool?

I also have a question about markings, do left side plates have any markings that give a clue who made them? All I have found is a flaming bomb on the top of the plate and of the course the Israeli "7.62" on the side. I was hoping to figure out who made at least some of the larger parts so when I order a Halo plate I can decide on the markings....

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Yes they do. Thanks for the heads up.

I assume I need to get Volume 1?

Do I need to call BMG to place an order?
Yes, Vol 1 has the most on the development of the .30 cal guns from JMB's workshop to production through the mid 1950s. All variations are well covered. Subsequent volumes cover foreign made versions (Vol II), mounts, accessories, etc. (Vol III), the M2HB (Vol IV) and Dolf's notebook of experience in Vol V. All worth having, but grab Vol I first. Just call Rick and BMG Parts and he'll take care of you.

As to mfg of your LSP, etc, there are a few of us who have made a particular study of that, which Dolf does not get into. It can get complicated, but we can usually tell the mfg of an LSP, and many other parts that don't have specific mfg codes. But there are some parts that are impossible to identify beyond doubt. Most common parts are SG, for Saginaw Gear. Let us know what features you have on your LSP, bottom plate, etc. Such as, cast or milled rear sight bracket, same with bottom plate, top plate, etc. Pics help!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As to mfg of your LSP, etc, there are a few of us who have made a particular study of that, which Dolf does not get into. It can get complicated, but we can usually tell the mfg of an LSP, and many other parts that don't have specific mfg codes. But there are some parts that are impossible to identify beyond doubt. Most common parts are SG, for Saginaw Gear. Let us know what features you have on your LSP, bottom plate, etc. Such as, cast or milled rear sight bracket, same with bottom plate, top plate, etc. Pics help!!!
I'll get some pics this weekend.

My bottom plate and top plate are cast... the rear sight bracket is more difficult to tell.... but I believe it is milled as it does not match a photo I found of an obviously cast piece. Both top and bottom plates have no markings that I can see. The bottom plate is removed from the LSP so they may not be a matched pair.

My trunnion oddly enough... appears to be milled. And I don't think it come from the same gun as the LSP, as the trunnion pintle hole has the Izzy "sleave" in it but the pintle plates appear to be the original ID.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
The majority of 1919 kits I have seen are a mix of parts. They do occasionally turn up as a relatively intact group from the same gun, but that's the exception to the rule. Cast parts, from WWII production, will be exclusively Saginaw Gear manufacture. But SG did not start with all cast parts, but rather added them to the mix as they were developed and approved. So, early SG stuff can appear to be all milled. Trunnions are among the most difficult to identify. When milled, like yours, they can be difficult or impossible to determine. An early milled SG is not distinguishable from an RIA trunnion of any year production from WWII. Post war, just for the record, is a whole different story. But parts from that late era are rarely part of the equation in these kits.

There are certain elements that help ID things, from flaming bomb marks to machine mark patterns. We'll do what we can to help out. It's part of the fun for some of us!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
"There are certain elements that help ID things, from flaming bomb marks to machine mark patterns. We'll do what we can to help out. It's part of the fun for some of us! "
Or obsession for some others. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got some pics,

But I can't them to upload in Imageshack to post them. I'll try to get them loaded when I can. Although at this point I'm 95% sure that my LSP was made by Saginaw. Nearly every part of my kit has "SG" stamped on it with exception of few small bolts parts that were made by Rock Island.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts