1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this was one of the guns that was initially built a few years back, but before we had the rust blue finish available. It has been thoroughly re detailed and rusted up! Customer gave permission to share a few photos, so here she is!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
SNIFF......Dats beautiful man!

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Rollin you have outdone yourself on this one my friend :urtheman: that truly is spectacular and my only question is do you have any fingers left? I can only imagine the amount of time you spent polishing and detailing this one it really is perfect. I love the contrast between the blue and in the white parts and honestly if it were mine I would just sit and stare at it as I would never want to shoot it. Very well done.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Really nice Rollin.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I can't imagine the time spent but it was worth it. Like the others have said, it's beautiful. Funny how many people take the finish for granted. Until they find out how hard it is. I wish I have the patience.

Wally

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
A thing of beauty and a joy forever!

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
What really impresses me is that you took almost all close up shots of your work most builders don't do that and it really shows the true detail work you put into your builds :D nothing bad hiding here! This must be the test detailing job for my cavalry gun:tongue:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
What really impresses me is that you took almost all close up shots of your work most builders don't do that and it really shows the true detail work you put into your builds :D nothing bad hiding here! This must be the test detailing job for my cavalry gun:tongue:
Nothing shows detail like a close up photograph!!!!
CaptMax

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
....another reason to reload...

Absolutely beautiful.....WTG,Rollin. Personally,I think the dual-feed 1917 you built and blued is prettier...that's why I bought it...!!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
That really did turn out nice Rollin, in person it must be amazing. This is why I'll stick to parking and leave this type of finish to the pro's. Rollin you are a perfectionist my friend keep up the great work. Thanks for sharing the pics

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I sure appreciate all the kind comments from everyone. You are all too kind. I do have to give credit to my rust blue guy. Honestly, he does all the hard work. Since IMBLITZVT posed the question about the time involved, let me answer as best I can. This particular gun was a refinish, and so it was more involved in the prep work because I had to go repolish through all the old finish, and then get it back to the level I wanted for the bluing. That was a few hours of work, no question. This is why I am reluctant to do old 1928s, as the amount of hand polishing required to get it to my standard can just wear me out. This was not that kind of work, but here is the contrast. On the guns I build with the all new receivers, and with Lou's new water jackets, my system is designed to minimize how much hand work I have to do. Working with new metal changes the dynamic completely. These are not brightly polished pieces. Wish you could all see one in person. The goal here is to have the metal look just as it normally should as factory new. Okay, maybe a bit more polished in the finish, but not by that much. Because I do a lot of detailing on all my builds- old kit or new box- these are actually less work. I admit it, I am lazy. The flush rivets are carefully blended into the Blanchard grinding marks on the side plates for example. Blended by hand, not just a disc sanding job. All the edges are rounded and finished by hand. No buffing wheels, just the old fashioned way, though with a bit of wire wheel technique on small parts. It's pretty much all hand labor, but the marks of tooling and factory machine grinding are preserved to a large degree. I am not building Holland and Holland guns here, just a fine, commercial grade belt fed.

The real work is on the bluing, and I do not get the credit for that. I just got lucky enough to find a fellow who does it and he puts a lot of hours into to it. Generally, there are 8-10 applications of the solution, with the rusting and wire carding in between. Very labor intensive, but I can't say how many hours he puts in. I pay him what he insists is a fair price, but I couldn't do it myself at that cost. The finish does blend in a lot of things. The Blanchard grinding does fade a bit. Len, your Dual Feed gun shows the side plate grinding more because it was hot blued, so it didn't get the burnishing of the carding process. That was the last one, I think, before I found my rust blue guy. But the hot blue is beautiful too, and probably a bit shinier overall. Cost to me is about the same, believe it or not. Partly because I have to ship out for the hot blue, while the rust blue is local.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts