1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a great day at the range when after firing about 200 rounds of different manufactured (head space checked each time lot changed) rounds the weapon stopped feeding. I couldn't even get it to feed by manually cycling the action. The cam screw was tightened and backed off 1/4 turn, correct 762 links and booster. The rounds do fit tight on the trunnion/feed way area. There is a brass mark on the left front 308 cartridge guide. When looking at the weapon from the top with the feed tray open I can see that the left rear 308 cartridge guide sits back about 1.5 mm from the bolt when the bolt locks up. Did the guide wear? I was using the same rounds since the build and up until now its been running like a top.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The guide is as it should be. If it doesn't extract it won't feed. Is the slide in or out when it stops. It may be the holding pawl spring is too long. It can deform and hinder the movement of the pawl.J.R.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guide is as it should be. If it doesn't extract it won't feed. Is the slide in or out when it stops. It may be the holding pawl spring is too long. It can deform and hinder the movement of the pawl.J.R.
Thank you for the response. The slide works well, stays in the track on the bolt, no extraction issues at all. It just wont feed now. Im going to strip my bolt right now so i can load some belts and see if it feeds now.

The spring is good in the pawl. Its been running great since i finished it in Oct. I was bragging to a couple buddies how great it was and half way through my day, bam no feeding!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I was having a great day at the range when after firing about 200 rounds of different manufactured (head space checked each time lot changed) rounds the weapon stopped feeding. I couldn't even get it to feed by manually cycling the action. The cam screw was tightened and backed off 1/4 turn, correct 762 links and booster. The rounds do fit tight on the trunnion/feed way area. There is a brass mark on the left front 308 cartridge guide. When looking at the weapon from the top with the feed tray open I can see that the left rear 308 cartridge guide sits back about 1.5 mm from the bolt when the bolt locks up. Did the guide wear? I was using the same rounds since the build and up until now its been running like a top.
Check your extractor and make sure there isn't excessive wear on it. Specifically the part that pulls the rounds out. After you strip the Bolt put the rounds back on the feed tray with the Bolt forward and check to see if it is too loose in there and being pushed just out of reach of the extractor

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your extractor and make sure there isn't excessive wear on it. Specifically the part that pulls the rounds out. After you strip the Bolt put the rounds back on the feed tray with the Bolt forward and check to see if it is too loose in there and being pushed just out of reach of the extractor
Thanks for the reply. I didnt explain this clearly. The first round that is all the way against the right side cartridge stop gets pulled and chambered. The other rounds are not getting moved over to the right. Here is a picture I just took. The first round has been chambered and is on the bolt face, chambered. As you can see the rounds have not been advanced. My belt holding pawl spring isnt stiff and has seen the weapon fire about 400 rounds no issue. Now Im completely stumped. This is EXACTLY what my father in laws 1919 was doing as well. Cam screw too tight? Ill try backing it out 1/2 a turn.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a simple fix! Put the double loop first. The single loop doesn't feed well
Thanks for hanging around while I work this. Tried the double end first, same issue! First round chambers, sometimes the second one does, but the third will not advance over.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fastmonkey helped me figure it out. The feed pawl spring got to too soft. Im guessing that it didn't have the strength to hold the belt from slipping back, causing the feed issue. I was able to hand cycle a 20 round belt with zero issues after I stretched the coils adding just enough resistant to stop the belt from slipping back but not too much that would cause it to limit forward movement. Hopefully that will equal a nice running gun again. Going to need it to work. Ordering the OBS crank for my Christmas Present to me!

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
Now you do know with the OBS crank you have to drill the bottom plate with a 7/32" IIRC hole to install it . Lou provides a real nice drill jig for this drilling so it is no big sweat to do it .
It uses the T&E pin and the crank mounting brackets to locate it right so it is easy :D !
Then all you have to do is adjust it up in the brackets to set it so it trips the trigger every time tighten it down and have fun .
Installed it does Not interfere with disassembling the gun at all .

Your breech cam should be set at 1/4 turn out and staked in place or Locktited in place , i went further and got a automotive stud a,castle nut and cotter pin (50 BMG style ) and tacked the stud to the cam so i never have to worry about the screw working loose and losing it ,but this is My style !

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Now you do know with the OBS crank you have to drill the bottom plate with a 7/32" IIRC hole to install it . Lou provides a real nice drill jig for this drilling so it is no big sweat to do it .
It uses the T&E pin and the crank mounting brackets to locate it right so it is easy :D !
Then all you have to do is adjust it up in the brackets to set it so it trips the trigger every time tighten it down and have fun .
Installed it does Not interfere with disassembling the gun at all .

Your breech cam should be set at 1/4 turn out and staked in place or Locktited in place , i went further and got a automotive stud a,castle nut and cotter pin (50 BMG style ) and tacked the stud to the cam so i never have to worry about the screw working loose and losing it ,but this is My style !
"Your breech cam should be set at 1/4 turn out and staked in place or Locktited in place , i went further and got a automotive stud a,castle nut and cotter pin (50 BMG style ) and tacked the stud to the cam so i never have to worry about the screw working loose and losing it ,but this is My style ! "

Those are both very good ideas. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts