1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and let me just say, this is by far the coolest thing I have ever cranked, although my crarkfire is a close 2nd. Absolutly amazing piece of equipment, just make sure you bolt it down!

·
Watercooled Addict
2,082 Posts
Yep. A properly adjusted one makes loading belts a breeze. I had to do a little adjusting on mine, but once it was dialed in I was able to load 8mm into unused gi 250rd belts without so much as a single hiccup. Loaded 32 of those belts last weekend and it never missed the hole a single time. Still dont think they are worth a grand though. But then again a transferrable sideplate aint worth 15k, but what are you gonna do? Enjoy the loader. They make what used to be a chore, fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I friggin hate mine. Ive messed with it and messed with it. When I can get it to work I end up with xylophone looking belts - the rounds seat fine initially then get farther and farther out. Ive tried loading with belts hanging loose, supported, etc. Ive tried Swedish and US belts. Ive increased and decreased tension holding the belt. and Ive messed with the needles. So far its been a hugh PITA (no Im not selling it 'cause I hate to be beat by something mechanical).

I had high hopes of watching the kids crank away and load belts - humbug. They like to link and will gladly link me up a can or 2 any time I'll let them.

Rant off.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
1918 woes...

Gunslingerdoc....You might want to completely dis-assemble,clean,tighten and re-assemble the M1918. After about thirty (30) belts,things start to loosen up and need to be taken care of. Adjustment of the needles to about the thickness of a playing card (.100) from horizontal to each set is close. Or you may have a worn part...especially the carrier or cartridge pusher which would give you seating problems. The lower wheel lever needs to be lubed at the eccentric for smooth operation and the index lever for the lower wheel might not be under enough tension....check the spring. Just a few hints..... I'm not an expert,but learned a lot from the manual I put together after spending many hours researching the M1918 and rebuilding the ten (10) machines I have. Also have several parts for sale to bring tired machines back to life. Call,my dime, (800) 380-4867 fo a 'consultation' and lets see if we can get you smileing again when useing your M1918 loader.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
L999,

I may give you a call. Ive taken the thing apart and cleaned and lubed and cleaned and lubed. Ive messed with the needles. There was even a really nice guy that emailed me his instructions from the old board complete with pics of his powered mods so his loader worked off an electric motor with a foot pedal switch.

The other problem I have is my wheels tend to gouge the brass and create little burrs that then tear up the belt when I shoot 'em.

About ever 6 weeks I get the thing out and mess with it but after a belt or so I end up putting it away.

I keep hoping I can find someone that's messed with them enough that can actually show me where the problem lies. Calling you may get me there. If you dont mind send me an email at [email protected] with a good time to call you. I'll gladly pay for the call!

Thanks again,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yep, I just recently purchased one from a member here,and it runs like a sewing machine after he showed me the right way to use it.Now I got loaded belts everywhere in the basement.:D

·
Registered
153 Posts
gunslingerdoc said:
I friggin hate mine. Ive messed with it and messed with it. When I can get it to work I end up with xylophone looking belts - the rounds seat fine initially then get farther and farther out. Ive tried loading with belts hanging loose, supported, etc. Ive tried Swedish and US belts. Ive increased and decreased tension holding the belt. and Ive messed with the needles. So far its been a hugh PITA (no Im not selling it 'cause I hate to be beat by something mechanical).

I had high hopes of watching the kids crank away and load belts - humbug. They like to link and will gladly link me up a can or 2 any time I'll let them.

Rant off.
It's a shame I don't have the equipment to make a video or time & money for travel to a place to give live demo's to all who have problems loading belts with 1918 loader. It's not very difficult if machine has not been maladjusted out of frustration. From my experience, keeping the rounds evenly pushed into belt is best accomplished by using a right hand enclosed in a quality leather glove and whilst cranking with left hand, (also glove enclosed) guide the loaded belt coming out of the star wheels by applying a slight left motion with each crank to move the belt left, keeping it from moving to the right and allowing the later rounds to not be pushed in as far as the first ones. This is something that comes from experience and mechanical aptitude. It is one great machine, but requires some patience and experience. All this assumes the belt loader is securely mounted to a platform or work bench and has a container to support the loaded belt as it egresses.

Once loaded belts are much easier.

·
Registered
311 Posts
1918 belting

Mine will mess up on occasion but when you are loading for a FA you can't be pushing them in by hand. Don't give up. "The answer is out there somewhere".
If we knew where you lived maybe someone close by could stop in and help you. I have been using 06 belts for 308 but the other day I came into some new 100 rounders that were just to tight and they would get forced out of the star wheels. Crazy machine. The guy that designed it had to be certifiable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts