1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone w/Ohio Ordnance Works and they have resumed production of the 1918A3 SLR but if you're a CA resident, the flash hider gets butchered and the mag-well gets plugged. Nice...real nice. I gotta get out of this place.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Hey master Sgt

I might be able to recommend you so someone in So Cal that can help you email me...
Why does the mag well need to be plugged did they give you any reason as I don't believe this rifle is on the AW's ban list right... Other than the fact that the magazines are solely 20 round only this does not stop some one from using there prebans or making shortened 10 round mags we did this with the FAL orignally when next to no 10 round mags were being made. Putting a look a like compensator on the unit should be no problem. What kind of prices and delivery times did they quote you?

The BAR is what my father carried in the corp and it is definetely on the top of my list for my collecton and would not want it the way you are depicting it thats for sure...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a 1918a3
As long as you don't have the flash hider on it, it's ok
you can have the flash hider but not on the rifle
as far a mags; If you had them before the ban you can have 20 round mags:p
Is the 1918a3 you want to get 308 or 3006:confused:
oow use fal mags on 308 and bar mags on 3006 they put a 10round plug in the one going to Calif. It is the mags they modify
Unless oow has change what their doing now:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
BAR is only

BAR is only 30-06 I think... Ontos a lot of the dealers won't even ship here because they are so paranoid thats why I think MSgt is having the problems that they want to fix the mag well on him and plug it. It's no doubt that you can remove a flash hider and affix a compensator but I think there paranoia as to 100% of BAR mags are 20 round only makes them want to plug up the mag well where there is no need so long as you have pre bans like you said or you have 20 round modified down to 10 rounds and then shipped in because it is not an assult rifle. This rifle has never been placed on our ban list just checked again today if that flashider is taken off and is shipped with no mags it should be able to be shipped here bottomline guys... I have a guy that Im sure would be willing to assist in getting these fine Brownings here legally... Im gonna talk to him this weekend...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They didn't quote me a price, but only said they planned to raise it from the $3050 as advertised on their site. But...I will not pay $4K for a weapon that's been "Feinstien-ized"

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
Thats screwed up, these guns are too nice to be told NO, you cant have one. I would check into it a little further and see about makin or buyin some converted 10 rnds mags (if legal) and cuttin the flash hider off. The BAR is a fun gun! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
There was a B.A.R. sitting on the top shelf at my local gun shop. I didn't notice if it had a flash hider or not. It didn't have a magazine in it - so I don't know if the mag well is blocked or not. I know it was not an inexpensive gun and I don't want to have to start stocking up on yet another caliber of ammunition, so I never asked to look at it up close.

I may stop by there later today or possibly tomorrow and will see if it's still there and what the deal is. If I don't make it by, I do know I'll be there next Friday - because that's my pick-up day for my ORF 1919a4.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
The flashider just needs to come off

Guys all that has to go bye bye is the flashider its no biggy you just gotta get a guy with an FFL that is willing to do it...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Can one be brought in under a C&R?

Anyone know if a C&R can get you something
otherwise banned like a flash hider, if its
original to the firearm in question?

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
A C&R isnt gonna help you unless its a original C&R weapon, which in this case would have to be a F/A not a new built semi.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts

·
I wanna go shooting NOW!
3,251 Posts
THX for the reminder Steve! :p

Doesn't active military even get a break? ****!
MSgt; God bless medics, lifers, and medic lifers! :D

Always wanted a BAR....:)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have a Cali legal OOW 1918a3 that I bought at Gun World in Burbank, CA about four years ago and all they did was ship two 20 round mags blocked to 10 and the flash hider was shortened by about 1 and 1/2 inches, otherwise it looks like the version sold in every other state. In fact when I watched Combat as a kid the guy that had the BAR had a flash hider that looked to be about the same length. Hope this helps. The bad thing about the BAR is that when you take it to the range 'You' become the center of attention.

·
Registered
958 Posts
A 'bullet button' modification to the magazine release, coupled with magazines with permanent modifications to limit capacity to no more than ten rounds, should get around the California Penal Code 12276.1 definitions well enough.

Read about it here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

Lucky#13, and the other gurus here and perhaps Calguns may well have a more specific interpretation that yields the aforementioned logic false but in any event a doo-dad on the end of the tube would slow me down if money was smolderin' in the pocket.

·
Registered
883 Posts
THX for the reminder Steve! :p

Doesn't active military even get a break? ****!
MSgt; God bless medics, lifers, and medic lifers! :D

Always wanted a BAR....:)
Yes, If you are in the military and stationed in california there is an exception to the AW Ban... sorta... the exception is that you can register your evil looking demon device as an AW .... so it gets around the ban part but not the registration crap...

You will want to look at the law as there may be other requirements but I defiantly remember something about military exceptions.

Richard

·
Registered
741 Posts
A buddy bought his a few years ago here in Cali. Besides charging more for it, it came with the 2 blocked magazines and a "muzzle brake" - more like a chopped down flashhider, silver soldered to the barrel.

It should be just like the M1A - legal with a muzzle break, not legal with a flah hider. The law in Cali defines an assault rifle (quoting loosely) as a semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a detachable magazines AND any one or more of: pistol grip below the receiver, flash hider, folding or thumbhole stocks (this is the 2nd "feature" list; there is also the inital "named" that preceeded the "feature" list, and which is still applies as well).

I have never seen a bullet button for a BAR, but the button elimates the intial detachable magazine, which then allows everything else. For the BAR, the only thing that it has other than the detachabel mag. is the flashider, get rid of it and her is no "and" item. It has a detachable magazine AND none of the other features. Not an issue.

A 1919a4 is legal in Cali, but a 1919a6 is illegal / considered an assault rifle. Cali law defines a "magazine" as "any ammuniton feeding device" which would include a belt. Add a flash hider and you know have a detachable magazine (belt) and a flash hider = assault rifle, which, if unregistered, is a felony.

Getting back to point, I don't see why they would have to fill the mag well on BAR, unless it is just a case of CYA, which they have every right to do.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The cutoff remains of the flash hider that hold the bipod on are not silver soldered onto the barrel on the newer CA versions. This thread is a great example of how the new format, with it's related posts at the bottom of the page, brings old necropost back to life. This thread was five years old!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts