1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been tinkering with trying to impression a few keys for my old Yale Ordnance locks so I could use them on my transit chest and I thought I would share this with all of you. First off it is not near as easy as they make it look on the Utube videos lol it took me more than a couple hours to do my first key and I owe a lot to LC here on the board for helping me through this as I could not have done it with out his help and advice. It can be a bear to find the original blanks for them and the locks were designed not to be impressioned or picked easily which adds to the difficulty and proved to be a good test for my patience! I was able to get my first one of 5 locks done and it works and the best advice I can give anyone that is going to try this is get the right file (Pippen), make yourself a simple tool to hold the key and get a really strong magnifying lamp. The lamp is the most important thing at least for me it is as my eyes are not what the once were. Anyways I added a few pictures and if anyone is going to try this and needs help let me know I would be glad to help. OK I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I can't seem to post photo's anymore :mad: I hate this whole tech thing sometimes. I will see if I can make any headway with it and add them if I do. Russ

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Look at it this way Toolman, at least you will have experience if they ever send you to Sing Sing. :rofl:
CaptMax

·
Registered
127 Posts
Being able to impression a key for a lock of that quality
is not often seen these days. It does take a lot time and practice.
Most locksmiths today just replace locks .
Good job, toolman
LWC

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
So do you just twist the key blank and try and find tell tale marks/scratches where the tumblers or whatever are somehow without breaking the blank off in the lock??

Those are nice locks. Well worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for posting the photos Terry I owe you one brother :D
Duke yes you basically wiggle it to find the pin locations and do about 3-4 swipes with a pippin file and keep repeating the process until you don 't see any marks and hopefully it works? It took me a couple tries and I wasted a blank on the first attempt as the marks can be very hard to see (old tired eyes) but once you get a feel for it it is not too bad. Not as easy as the pro make it look though but then again I would like to see them build a Browning the first try out :tongue:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos Terry I owe you one brother :D
Duke yes you basically wiggle it to find the pin locations and do about 3-4 swipes with a pippin file and keep repeating the process until you don 't see any marks and hopefully it works? It took me a couple tries and I wasted a blank on the first attempt as the marks can be very hard to see (old tired eyes) but once you get a feel for it it is not too bad. Not as easy as the pro make it look though but then again I would like to see them build a Browning the first try out :tongue:
Are you using layout die (Dykem) to see the marks on the blank between filing? I'd think once you have filed marks in the key blank would be near impossible to see. I have to say that's pretty impressive making a key that way.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No dykem just a real good magnifying glass the file marks are really not an issue if you have the right file. I would use a pippen file and you only take a few strokes at a time, a good glass and light are key to seeing the marks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts