1919 A4 Forums banner

L999here’s Shuttle Belt Loading Adaptor

11K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  brassmagnet 
#1 ·
Now that the site is back up and running I can post my review of Len’s “shuttle kit” for the 1918 belt loaders.

The shuttle assembly was an update to the belt loaders that was phased in around 1942. The original instructions had you file off the tip of the needle bar lever so that spring for the carrier (the bar moves back and forth to line up the rounds for belt insertion) could still be used. Not wanting to destroy a perfectly good part Len just came up with his own spring adaptation.

The shuttle replaces the needle assembly and removes 3 moving parts. As we all know the less moving parts of a machine the better! It’s more or less just an eccentric cam that opens the belt pocket so the round will go in.

To update the loader you simply take off the top cover, remove the V shaped spring and the 2 screws on the belt guide and then gently pry up the needle bar lever. You may also need to pry up the belt guide if it doesn’t come up with the needle assembly. Here’s a pic of the parts removed.

The replacement spring simply goes in like this.

After that you will need to provide clearance for the cam (shuttle) to freely move. (see above pic) I tried simply putting a .010” shim under the new belt guide assembly but couldn’t get the reliability I wanted. So then I used a little grinder to remove the metal needed on the loader body and got the results I wanted. Once the clearance is there you just slide the new assembly over to just barely touch the case of a round set at full stroke and tighten down the 2 belt guide screws. You may need to move it a little closer or further away to get run its best. It looks like this.

Once you have it set, it runs GREAT especially on new belts, a BIG plus here, as those of us belt loaders know the new belts used to give us the biggest problems! As I got a prototype please note the finish shown in the pics will not be as nice as the finished product. Although they looked fine to me, Len let me know that the finished product will be even better. He includes a full set of instructions with all the information needed to update your loader. So far it’s a 3006 adaptation only, but the 8mm conversion for it is in the works. I plan on just running 3006 in the future and reloading as ammo prices just keep going up. I feel if I am going to have to reload I might as well run the guns on the round they were designed for. If you’re going to running belts this mod is well worth the money. I want to thank Len for letting me letting me play with this kit and apologize for taking so long to get my evaluation up.
THANKS!!!
BAinMO

See less See more
#2 ·
...'tis a better thing....

My thanks to Brian for his working the bugs out of this long awaited mod for the belt loader. Kudos also go to AmishBob(Rob) for lending me an original shuttle piece for the proto-type work. These assemblies are available with a complete set of instructions,a spring replacement and the complete shuttle set for $150.00+ $5.00 HIS. There are no permanent mods (except the .010 removed from the body) that would affect the operation of the loader with the original needle assembly. They are interchangable with all the 1918 Brownings...WW1 & WW2 models. Have yet to try this on the 1928 Colt but it should work just as well. Questions,comments,dirty jokes....? (800)380-4867....my dime. Or send your check or MO (your choice) to Len's Gun Shop,Inc.,2402 S. Michigan St.,South Bend,IN-46614

#4 ·
....might just work...

Good question. With just the change of the cartridge pusher...should work. I will defer to Bain who has been doing the prototype work. Except for the legnth of the case,everything else is the same. An immediate answer is....YES...with the .308 pusher,it should work just as well.

#5 ·
im not sure whichBrian your talking about.... but if its BEFU ive dealt with him before and hes a great fellow.

be sure and let us 308 guys know on this.

#8 ·
im not sure whichBrian your talking about.... but if its BEFU ive dealt with him before and hes a great fellow.

be sure and let us 308 guys know on this.
I've delt with both those great guys too, but this time, that would be me, Brian A. :eek:
The "per-pusher" (for lack of a better name) would need to be spaced forward as its the neck that helps move the cam. I would think it wouldn't be too hard to just make 2 removable spacers, one for 308 and the other for 8mm, to bring the round forward the needed amount. The old style of the 308 conversions that I did just had a removable spacer on the front of the pusher and nothing on the "pre-pusher shelf".
Hope this helps,
BAinMO

#9 ·
Having met all three in question here, I gotta say you young Buckeyes need to get your Brians straight. ;) While BEFU and I met only briefly at KCR last spring, he does seem to be a decent fellow. 30calmachinegunner is one heck of a class act, and an afternoon of subgunning at his place is a day I'll never forget. :D But my friend BAinMO is a resource you guys are only beginning to appreciate, I think. This guy knows belt loaders better than anyone! Now that he is sharing his expertise with Len, you'll see what a tremendous asset he is to those of us who are men of the cloth! :cool:

#10 ·
sorry bub, but its just like saying "hey buckeye boy"..... theres 18 of us on this site. LOL

so Brian in MO, my apologies!!

i must be mising a picture, is there a hopper or a feed for this thing? or is it still a one at a time loader. im clueless here so fill me in.

and yes i use coth belts in the 1919 and the 50bmg

#11 ·
...."Men of the cloth"...?

While I've been called many names/things....some not so nice....this is the first time I've ever been refered to as a "Man of the cloth"....LOL. What a hoot...LOL. Lucky...that's the best laugh I've had this month...!!! He is right ,you know. Even if I don't wear a 'collar' or a cassok...that is a good term to call us Browning Belt loader types. O...yeah...have not heard whether or not the .308 pusher will feed in the shuttle type assembly. OK BAIN (in MO), if you don't have a .308 pusher,let me know and I'll send you one pronto. Then we will know for sure..... Aso,the straight chute style of feed device is what the shuttle was designed around. Hopper might work also....no reason for it not to....

#12 ·
sorry bub, but its just like saying "hey buckeye boy"..... theres 18 of us on this site. LOL

so Brian in MO, my apologies!!

i must be mising a picture, is there a hopper or a feed for this thing? or is it still a one at a time loader. im clueless here so fill me in.

and yes i use coth belts in the 1919 and the 50bmg
SDK,

Actually mine is put on one (#1) of my “Autoloaders” like this one only not as nicely finished. That’s 12,000 rounds in belts under this one I loaded to get it tuned in 8mm properly.
http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=autoloadertesting006ip9.jpg

The photos only show the cool shuttle adaptor that ya put on to replace the needle assembly. So far I’ve only run it with the regular chute. The tray that Paul A makes will not work in 308.
I’ve got say that the first time I’ve ever been called a “man of the cloth”. Thanks for the kind words Lucky!
BAinMO

#14 ·
....btt....

Have had many requests and thought that since BAINMo reposted the original pics that putting this post up front would help those who have asked many questions. Shipping is now $7.00....but original price of $150.00 is still OK. Thanks to Brian for reposting the pics....

#19 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I have been discussing this shuttle system with some people, and was wondering if there was any new input [pos/neg] on this system? I loaded 10 belts recently and had a conglomerate of headaches with the needles picking up various belts, ranging from older to brand new. I load 8MM, and was wondering if anyone out here has had any more experience with this shuttle system loading 8MM? Any experience, good or bad, would be appreciated. I have all the failth in the world in Len, but only loading 3K per year, it's a sizable expense to an already costly loading machine. Thanks in advance for any feedback! ;)

brass......

#20 ·
Len's shuttle loader and service

Just a quick thank you to Len from Len’s gun shop. I talked to him about the shuttle conversion, asked some questions which he took the time to answer, and then placed an order on 23rd of Dec. I mailed a check, and had the parts in my hands on the 30th!! That’s AAA+++ service if you ask me. Thanks again!!

I should have it installed and tested at the end of the week...

#21 ·
...OK...!!!

Thank you for the 'atta boy'. I try to send everything same day funds are received...whether check or cash. Also makes it easier to keep track of everything. You will find that almost everyone that frequents this site and has an item/service to offer gives very good to excellant service. Several members...30calmachinegunner (Brian) is an example...are legendary in the quality of their work and superb customer service. MSG (Michael) has rivets,Lucky 13(Rollin) has 1917 parts and is one of our 'experts' on parts,KKK-riverrats also is a parts maven...the list goes on. Thank you for your business.

#22 ·
I'll agree 100% on Len's good service and great customer relationship. I've dealt with Len a few times in the past and never blinked an eye with worries or problems.

As for the shuttle kit - I hope you post your experiences with it and give details - details, and more details. I'm considering tyrying one myself if I can get more feedback on the 8MM success.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.