1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a 50bmg converted Lahti or a DD 20mm they’d sell. Yep, I know a long shot in today’s panic market.

-Doug

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PM sent to heckinohio, think you are in driving distance from me. Also, what would you all recommend, a 50 bmg, 20mm Vulcan rechamber, or original caliber for a long term investment? I may touch off a few rounds but not going to be a big shooter by any means.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought one of Sarco's Lahti's way back in the mid 1970's, with the coffin crate and all the goodies.
20mm ammo was available back then, but it was expensive even back then.
So I bought all the fired brass I could find, had a machinist friend make me a set of push in/push out dies for use with a hydraulic press, made adaptors to use 50 BMG primers in the brass, and used turned down 20mm Vulcan projectiles.
All this stuff was available back in the 70's.
But as time went on, by the mid 90's all this stuff was drying up, getting hard to find and expensive.
So I bought a extra Lahti barrel and a spare bolt assembly.
Bored out the barrel, turned down a new chrome lined 50 M2 BMG barrel, and inserted the 50 barrel into the Lahti barrel, and drilled the gas port.
Modified the bolt face for the 50 BMG cartridge, and had a friend modify the extractor via tig welding, and grinding.
Finally I modified a Lahti Magazine by inserting a Japanese 13mm AA MG magazine (same length and diameter as a 50 BMG cartridge) into it.
Since then, I have a really big semi-auto 50 BMG rifle, that has a recoil like a Ruger 10/22.
I'm not the only person who has done this modification, I copied how to information I found in Shotgun News and in 50 Caliber Gun Magazines.
The mod is not difficult, but you really do need a well equipped machine shop to do this conversion work.

·
Premium Member
5,571 Posts
I have a papered 20mm DD available id there is any interest?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Whats the going price for one of these bad boys?

·
Registered
475 Posts
So... in doing some research, am I correct that in order to have the 20mm etc. it would require a DD permit from the Feds, and THAT permit is $3K a YEAR! ??

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
So... in doing some research, am I correct that in order to have the 20mm etc. it would require a DD permit from the Feds, and THAT permit is $3K a YEAR! ??
I think what you found is either a DD manufacturers license or SOT.
If you want to own and shoot a DD it’s just a $200 NFA transfer.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah, that must have been the case. I couldn't see people spending 3K a year just to have a rifle like that.

·
Premium Member
5,571 Posts
Whats the going price for one of these bad boys?
From my research I have found them all over the board up to 25,000.00 but hey you can ASK what ever you want it foes not mean you will het it. For a nice complete package I think they are in the 18K range but what are you guys finding out there?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts