1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've about had it with eyeglasses -- bifocal, trifocal, unifocal, shooting glasses, reading glasses, whatever. I cannot seem to find anything that really meets my needs and am wondering if that means I'm ready for the Lasik Surgery that "guarantees," or at least suggests, 20/20 vision as a result.

I'd guess there are several here who've undergone Lasik Surgery and wonder about their results. Did you have one eye done at a time, or both? Can cataract removal be done at the same time? How much downtime did you undergo? What are your vision results? Did the whole process meet your expectations? How about years afterward?

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Even if you get Lasik your going to end up needing reading glasses in the end.
And your still going to need shooting glasses.
If you have cataracts have that done first you may find you don't need Lasik
Wife just had Cataract surgery both eyes about a month apart.

There are several different options for the new lenses.
Some people choose to have one eye done for close the other for far .
Some covered by insurance others not.

Eventually your going to need glasses to read.
GW

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I looked into it, pun not intended, and came to the conclusion it really amounts to snake oil, if you're seriously considering it, it behooves you to read more about it as there a lot of things that can go wrong with your eyes after the surgery, then if you didn't get the surgery.

I will stick to glasses and let others go and be stylish.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Worked fine for me!

Had " lasek " about 10 years ago and it is fine.....20/20. Yep I need reading glasses but most people my age do. Nothing odd there.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I had it done back in 2008. Now I can't recall what the specific name was, but it was the kind where a blade was still used to create a flap and then laser did all the corrective work. I had needed glasses/contacts for distance since early teens, but when I started needing the reading glasses too, I decided I didn't like the idea of bifocals. I've been very happy with the results, other than the fact that I could no longer blame my poor long distance shooting on my eyesight. That was such a convenient excuse, but I had to give it up. The only drawback I've had- and like johnson LMG suggests this was a likely pre existing condition- my eyes are dry most of the time which makes things a bit blurry at distance unless I use artificial tears. Now I have always been bad about hydrating and I have probably always tended towards dry eyes, just never was noticeable until the buggers got fixed. They never feel dry, never bother me, but every so often I can't read something clearly, at a distance, and then all is right with the world again when I put a drop or two in. Have no regrets and I don't even need the reading glasses for most reading. But then, working in the shop I am using magnifiers all the time as it involves much close-up viewing. Cheap $10-$20 magnifiers are all I ever need to use. I have them stashed everywhere! God help me if I forget to bring them to the Creek when looking for markings on Browning parts, lol.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I can relate to the cheap "reader" glasses. I think I have about 8 pair of them stashed around the home and shop. I didn't have the lasik surgery, but i did have both eyes done for cataracts. Like you Rollin I've lost me excuse for long range targeting (although it seems I have actually become a better shot now at distances). I also suffer from dry eyes and need to use the drops twice a day most of the time. Small price to pay to have young eyes again tho. :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I can relate to the cheap "reader" glasses. I think I have about 8 pair of them stashed around the home and shop. I didn't have the lasik surgery, but i did have both eyes done for cataracts. Like you Rollin I've lost me excuse for long range targeting (although it seems I have actually become a better shot now at distances). I also suffer from dry eyes and need to use the drops twice a day most of the time. Small price to pay to have young eyes again tho. :)
Yes, dry eye is a common complaint after surgery. My only advise is if you haven't done it already is choose " lasek " over " lasik '!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Before I could not see distance but could count ridges on my finger tips with them 2 inches from my face.
In 2005 I had the surgery and can see great at a distance still. I need glasses within a foot from my face. Me close vision is completely gone. At least thats how it seems from being able to see close before.
Toss up if I would do it over. I had it done because of the Police job and glasses were out and I did not like contacts. If it wasnt for that. Probably would be wearing glasses for distance still.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts