1919 A4 Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Mike, There are many ways to skin this cat. It just comes down to what is available and right price for you.

You could consider a single phase motor. You may already know each motor has a data tag. The frame and Hp are the 2 important ones. You already know Hp, so frame size is all you need. It is usually a combination of numbers and letters. It may not be economical or available, but something to consider.

If you have access to usable motors (1 single phase and 1 three phase) of adequate size you could build your own converter. I'm sure you have already came across this though.

Keep us updated it is always nice to see how someone else does it.
I did think about that. I will think about it some more also, but I like the idea of having 3 phase available. It seems to me that a lot of really good equipment goes cheap when it’s 3 phase because it limits the customers. I’ve seen big drill presses and welders etc that guys can’t get rid of because they were 3 phase and only commercial zoning has access to it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mike Duke, that is a great looking, capable lathe you got there. If it would help, a phase converter runs warm in a hotter climate (AZ), and it draws more electric power to do the same work as would a straight single-phase motor, all other things being equal. A good modern single-phase motor is more efficient, and is simpler to run overall, and runs cooler, if it is the correct size for the intended use. I had a 3 phase 80gal Industrial Air Comp that we converted to single phase, and even went up in Motor HP in the process, it still runs good for over 20 yrs., no problems, runs cool, and sits outside all this time. A new motor was $250.00 + - back then, while a phase converter was noticeably much more, and a U.S. Made one, even more so. I hear that there are several types of new brushless motors available out there now, and not so expensive as they used to be.
Just a possible alternative to consider.
Hope it helps some. Jim.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Consider getting a VFD to run your lathe. Gives you variable speed. Something i consider essential on a lathe.

Nice looking rebuild work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My brother runs a VFD on his lathe and Bridgeport as well. When he researched all the options that is what he went with. He is also an electrical engineer so he has a pretty good understanding of how it all works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice lathe! I am now on my 4th lathe upgrade

Started with a 1917 Dalton, then a 1928 9x24” SB Jr. on to a 1940’s Logan 10x24” (below) and now a 1960’s 13x36” Clausing Colchester. Likely this is the end of the upgrades.

I have my clausing colchester 13x36 and hardinge TM milling machine set up with starting capacitor circuit, to start a 5HP 3phase generator motor. This then generates 3phase power supply to feed both lathe and mill off the same generator motor directly at the same time. Also added run capacitors to tune the generated voltages closer together.

Have it all hooked up in the ceiling with cord drops to each machine. I’ll post some photos to give you some more ideas tonight

I happen to have a pony motor start 7.5HP 3phase rotary phase converter available. And a lathe if anyone is anywhere near the finger lakes NY I have a nice Logan 10x24 tool room lathe available. Believe the same as you other lathe in the photo

Best regards
Michael

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here are some photos

Wood Electrical wiring Electrical supply Electricity Circuit component

30 amp 220v from the main panel coming in to fused cutoff switch

Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Passive circuit component Gas

Out to Commercial capacitor start circuit in the small inner grey box plus new balancing caps outside. Commercial unit Came with the Clausing Colchester lathe and I adapted to build by 3 phase power distribution network

Building Wood Wall Shade Window

the single phase 220v power to the center spur to the generator Motor.

Machine tool Gas Toolroom Engineering Machine
Generator motor on the floor on wheeled platform on center drop feed directly off the generator motor spurs left and right via drops to tools.

Can add additional spurs if need for more tools if needed or mak an extension cord

Happy machining
Best michael

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wooow Dooooood!
Good job. That set up looks great.
the Colchester is a really nice machine.
Id like to talk to you more about the wiring system if you are available. I’d like that rotary phase converter also.
maybe you wanna trade cool gun stuff for some cool rotary phase stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Happy to chat. I Can not seem to find the way to send a PM. I have in the past as I see some old conversations. Has to board changed the rules? Or restarted counting threads before enabling this feature?

ok to make contact via the Craigslist link on gunboards

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Happy to chat. I Can not seem to find the way to send a PM. I have in the past as I see some old conversations. Has to board changed the rules? Or restarted counting threads before enabling this feature?

ok to make contact via the Craigslist link on gunboards
Yes, you have to have a post count of 10 now, it helps keep the spammers out but you just hit 10. So log out and log back in and then you can use the PM feature on the board. I can already see the wheels in Mike's head going into overdrive lol

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Charlie Erb quit several years ago. He had two loooonnnng lathes side by side in his later shop. There was a real big one in the old shop, not so long but had a real big chuck. We did flywheels in it.

Any one know what happened to those machines???

PJH

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Charlie Erb quit several years ago. He had two loooonnnng lathes side by side in his later shop. There was a real big one in the old shop, not so long but had a real big chuck. We did flywheels in it.

Any one know what happened to those machines???

PJH
I was just at Charlie's last month and will be talking to him today so I will ask and let you know. I didn't notice the lathes as I was busy picking up 13,000 rds of 8mm and then we spent the rest of the time in the basement looking at toys and chatting.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Great score Mike...!! Agree...the tooling and accessories were worth double your cost and the lathe basically is free...!! I've only got a 10" South Bend engine lathe. Usually use my 16" Logan engine lathe and have done some cartridge work making .44 Auto-Mag brass from .308 cases on my 10" Logan turret lathe.
Run the South Bend and my J-Head Bridgeport mill off a 5hp converter because they are both 3-phase 220vac.

I'm still learning how to run everything....LOL...!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts