1919 A4 Forums banner

Leather 1917A1 tripod belt and leather box question

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  redroth 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me where I might find a leather belt and the leather box that straps on to a 1917A1 tripod leg?
I could have one made but hope some is making them already.
Steamer

#3 ·
I would be interested in the leather box too. Do not think ever seen one.
Will check and see how my tripod strap is as I think it could use a replacement but frankly
I do not know how to go about getting it under the plate without removing it.
Appreciate someone who knows telling me before I buy one from OP

#7 ·
The data plates were riveted on with the strap in place and when they needed to be replaced they used a much thinner leather so they could slide it in without removing the data plate which is evident on the lend lease examples we see out there. The Colt 28 tripods had screws instead of rivets which made the job of replacing the strap much easier.

#4 ·
I've been trying to get a spare parts pouch repro'd with some help from a friend of mine, but it's been about 8 years so don't hold your breath. The ID tag on my 1928 simply unscrews from the leg if your strap is held differently it may be more difficult but still doable.

#5 ·
My strap was under a riveted name plate but came off easy after removal of the rivets. I did find a strap NOS that fits the bill. My old strap measured 21" long from buckle to the tip of the other end with nine holes for the buckle to close in. It measured just under 1" wide.

Steamer

#9 · (Edited)
I have made several tripod belts with dimensions copied from an original well worn belt. For anyone interested here are the dimensions:

Total Length of strap: 23-1/2 to 24 inches
Portion folded over to accommodate the buckle Approx. 2 1/2 inches
Length of assembled belt Approx. 21 inches
Width: 1 inch
Thickness: 1/8 inch.
Adjustment holes: 9 holes starting 3 inches from the tip spaced 3/4 inch center to center.
Indexing hole (under plate) about 16- 1/2 inches from tip.
Buckle: Roller type designed for one inch strap. Finish either black paint, phosphate or oxidized brass (black). I used GI buckles originally
designed for use on the carrying strap for field telephones.
Loop to secure overhang of belt located about 3/4 inch from buckle. Loop is 5/8 inch wide.
Method of attaching buckle. Either two lines of stitching or two rivets one on either side of the loop.

I am not sure of the finish the Army used. They could have been buff leather like rifle slings. The pieces I used to make mine were died dark brown. Thickness of the belt can vary depending on how strong you want the belt to be. Mine is slightly thicker that 1/8.

#11 ·
I've got a load of them in progress. Made some based on the originals I have in the collection. These are the thicker type requiring the data plate be removed and re riveted. I have the rivets and plan to get these up for sale in the next week or two.

Wood Plywood Beige Metal
Musical instrument

#14 ·
Box straps are easy. Those can happen but I think amish bob may still have those. The funnel.... not super interested as it looks like a pain.

#16 ·
They'll get listed as soon as the batch is ready to ship. Have some other 1917a1 tripod things in process to help the restos that will be happening with johns forks.

#21 ·
Good eye. Those are USGI. Every instance of "S.W.Co. 1918" that I've seen doing image searches returns that as being a Browning tripod toolkit.

Here's a good thread on the US Militaria Forum: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/274796-1918-leather-pouchwhat-is-it-for/

#22 ·
Leather Spare Parts

Guys, I went over to BMG and did not see a leather part pouch, much less one that mounts on the tripod if that is what we have been chatting about here. My gun is on display and about all the room I have is for the gun onthe tripod with the ammo box and the water tank- need to hunt down my hose to attach. Shoot it about every 5 years or so. THinking of leaving it in 22 caliber conversion to give folks something to think about- “why were we shooting .22’s at the enemy?

#23 ·
Guys, I went over to BMG and did not see a leather part pouch, much less one that mounts on the tripod if that is what we have been chatting about here. My gun is on display and about all the room I have is for the gun onthe tripod with the ammo box and the water tank- need to hunt down my hose to attach. Shoot it about every 5 years or so. THinking of leaving it in 22 caliber conversion to give folks something to think about- “why were we shooting .22’s at the enemy?
It is there under the canvas and leather heading for $49.95, I guess when you get old the eyes are the first to go. :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.