1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all excited to start my first batch of 380 reloads this weekend. I finally had about 300 empty mixed headstamp cases saved up and I made the trip to Bass pro shops for a new Lee die set. (Im new to reloading but I really like how easy their setup and instructions are). So, Im about 4 rounds into de-capping and the de-capping pin pops up. (Is a safey feature Lee builds in to avoid damaging the pin due to excessively crimped primers.

Well, heres where my genius begins. Ive had really tight 9MM before, so I just tap the pin back down with a hammer. The pin pops again. I give up on that case, I get about 10 more done and the pin pops again. At this point, Im cursing. I hammer it again and...something doesnt feel right. I open it all up and see the pin is now bent at a 90 degree angle. Now, angry me takes over. I heat the pin up, straighten it and spend 15 minutes filing it to get it to fit again. I start the process all over again and...yep.....the pin just randomly pops on about the 10th empty case.

OK, so if you are an old-timer and you see this coming, grab a beer....

Im now stumped. But I notice it all seems to be the same headstamp thats popping the pins. Some weird, mid 80's South American surplus I bought a few years back. I look into the cases and the primer pocket looks RALLY small, and theres 2 small holes next to the pocket....wait a minute...

Yep. Its berdan primed. I was attempting to defeat the very safety mechanism designed to prevent this kind of mistake. Go Me!!! Im a fawking genius! :(

I did manage to get some test loads put together last night. 100 gn FMJ with Unique, loads ranging from 3.5 to 4.1. 5 rounds of each incremental load so I can see what works. Ill let you all know how they shoot, and Ill check my brass better next time.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
"If something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't."

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
:rofl::rofl:

I can only laugh with you , cause I've done much much worse.

you cant make 303 brass from 30-30 brass no matter how hard you try.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I have been reloading for over 45 years, and I have done much duuuuumber things than that.

I could see this coming after about the third sentence, like a bad movie.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
...yup...seen it before...

Get several calls/visits a month about folks not taking the time to cull their Berdan brass before they start to reload. I take special time in my reloading classes to make sure folks know the difference and also hand out a couple pages of diagrams and pic's to re-enforce what I just taught them. I also stock a few dozen of the LEE straight de-capping pins for pistol dies....just in case. Not to beat a dead horse...but the collet should be tightened just enough to keep the pin in place for boxer primed cases. Any more and the pin may not rise up on a berdan primed case. That is why I stock LEE dies in my reloading shop...they work.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Good on'ya mate for fessin' up. Takes courage for that. As days go by, fewer seem to be willing.

Got no idea whatcha talkin' 'bout but I do have a few spare o'dem pins dat wuz givin' ya fits.

'ere, hold mah beer whildst I go 'n fetch one fer ya. They ain't 'spensive if you order a few at a time.

BTW, the other way to bend it is to have a 22 rimfire case snuggle down inside your 9mm and make it's way into the case feed tube of a lee loadmaster. . .

Or so I'm told. . .

Apparently you can tighten the collet up a little too much after it gets nudged from the last time. I'm sure there is a torque spec for it, but I have no idea what it is (hint hint L999)

B-D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yep I've done equally dumb things. I've had some 9 mm brass that appeared to be boxer primed but the flash hole was way to small for the pin to pass through. They were all head stamped MAL. Now I double check and discard those to the scrap brass can.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Let's not even talk about what happens when you are reloading .308 FMJ on the trusty Dillon while watching March Madness out the corner of your eye and the battery in your low powder sensor has gone dead. . . :banghead:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let's not even talk about what happens when you are reloading .308 FMJ on the trusty Dillon while watching March Madness out the corner of your eye and the battery in your low powder sensor has gone dead. . . :banghead:
Those hammer style bullet pullers sure do get tiresome after a few dozen rounds, huh?

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
...ouch....

...or when you get a primer that turns side-ways as you smash it into the primer pocket....LOL. Just had to 'pull' 5-.45's out of an 800-run because of that. I always check...and have several lithium batteries in stock....the powder check buzzer every time. Yep...happened to me once...but only once. You tend to be a bit more careful after having to pull several bullets.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Those hammer style bullet pullers sure do get tiresome after a few dozen rounds, huh?
Yup, along with weighing the entire batch one at a time to find out how many are light and have to be pulled down. Fortunately my reloading room is in the shop and away from the house so I didn't have to listen to a lecture from the frau about my language.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It aing "LOL" when the damn thing goes off I can tell 'ya! Sheese, scared the poo right out of me.
Not quite "sideways", but I tried my best to push a large pistol primer into a small primer pocket loading .45 acp.

Now, after depriming the sort with a gauge pin before further processing.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Belt driven,
You should try sucking a 50 BMG primer up with a vacuum :rofl::rofl: BANG !! Then the Horrible Wailing :eek::eek: as it expired leaking small tendrils of smoke :rofl::rofl::rofl: !

I did not even flinch but then again it is all but impossible to startle me .

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
i have a kenetic hamme/puller thingy .

BUT i've invested in the RCBS collet puller now. After buying piles of suspect ammo for components at auctions in the last 2 years , my hands were getting sore.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Belt driven,
You should try sucking a 50 BMG primer up with a vacuum :rofl::rofl: BANG !! Then the Horrible Wailing :eek::eek: as it expired leaking small tendrils of smoke :rofl::rofl::rofl: !

I did not even flinch but then again it is all but impossible to startle me .
Thanks alot. Now I got chewed tortilla chips in my snot.

Such a visual. Poor vacuum. You're a meanie.

Darn shame it wasn't under warranty. That'd been a fun return counter discussion. :rofl:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts