1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for parts so I can put another 1919 together but I am hesitant on buying a new LHSP. I have some izzy internals but the new sideplate says it is for 30-06. Can I make the sideplate function in .308? If anyone has experience with Iron Creations new sideplates please let me know what it takes to get it to fit and function.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Its fine. The Izzys modified 30-06 plates by milling the belt holding pawl slot for a larger pawl and drilling a 1/2" hole in the plate near the back of the trunnion. There should be no difference in the extractor cams or anything else. Besides, shoot 8mm or 30-06. .308 is so last year. j

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
The only difference in the plate functionally is a wider belt holding pawl cutout. If you want that I am sure Jeff will mill it wider if you are using a Izzy trunnion And want it matched up. Otherwise consider welding up the izzy trunnikn and having it remilled USGI. A USGI gun is cleaner and more desirable.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The only difference in the plate functionally is a wider belt holding pawl cutout. If you want that I am sure Jeff will mill it wider if you are using a Izzy trunnion And want it matched up. Otherwise consider welding up the izzy trunnikn and having it remilled USGI. A USGI gun is cleaner and more desirable.
If you go the weld up route on the trunnion you could consider having the floor of the feedway chromed. This was a '50's era modification to both reclaim chipped or worn trunnions and to give greater service life to new made or unissued ones. I have seen a new production '50's RIA A6 with chrome plated trunnion and they show up occasionally unattached to a gun or as part of a kit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I was planning on building a .308...Unless...will my Izzy internals fire 30-06? My first 1919 build is an S.G. parts kit so I already have everything to keep shooting 06. Can I build another 30-06 with my izzy parts?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was planning on building a .308...Unless...will my Izzy internals fire 30-06? My first 1919 build is an S.G. parts kit so I already have everything to keep shooting 06. Can I build another 30-06 with my izzy parts?
No problem. The Israeli kits are all USGI but for a small number of parts dedicated to 308. But they will shoot in 30-06 or 8mm with just a swap of cartridge spacers, barrel and booster. Or with a few more mods from BarrelXchange, even 39 or 54R. The only reason to go with full USGI 30-06 spec is for historical configuration, so if sticking with 308 to shoot, no real reason to go back to US spec.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning on building a .308 just to have another belt fed that shoots something a little different than the 30-06 I built a couple years back. Now I have another question about the feed pawl. Which would be best to rivet on; the wider izzy pawl or the USGI pawl. It seems that either pawl will feed any round; am I correct?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I was planning on building a .308 just to have another belt fed that shoots something a little different than the 30-06 I built a couple years back. Now I have another question about the feed pawl. Which would be best to rivet on; the wider izzy pawl or the USGI pawl. It seems that either pawl will feed any round; am I correct?
Yes, you should be fine with either belt holding pawl, and even the belt feed pawl in the top cover. I did some testing to see how well 308 works with mostly 30-06 parts, and all was fine. Not to say the Izzy mods don't make sense, as they had crazy muslims shooting at them. Anything to insure reliability in that case was good. But for a recreational shooter, the only 30-06 part that really creates issues (in 308) is the right rear cartridge stop, that's riveted to the RSP. You really want the Izzy part there. But if you have mostly Izzy parts anyway, I'd use them. If you were building on a new LSP in USGI spec, that's fine. The wider pawl could always be added later, as it's just a simple milling operation that could be done on an assembled receiver if wanted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts