1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first build. I have the gun almost complete, but have a question that I can't find any information on. There are two large holes behind the left pintal pad. One I know is for the large rivet holding the trunion in place. What is the other hole beside it? All the pictures I see it looks as though it is filled somehow.

You can see what I'm talking about in the second picture.
http://1919a4.com/tutorials/tutorial9.php

· Registered
885 Posts
You don't need too it's not necessary. Some do, but most don't.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
if you are using a square israeli type barrel retaining spring then you are going to want to keep the hole

the hole allows you to spread the israeli barrel spring away from the barrel enough so that you can rotate the barrel inside the gun. without the hole present the barrel retaining springs comes to rest against the left sideplate just before its moved out enough to disengage from the barrel notches

many will tell you to just use a usgi profile spring in your gun - i much prefer the israeli spring because it provides much more positive headspace retention, and most of the barrels i shoot with have israeli type spring notches. most of the caliber conversion barrels use the israeli spring

anyway - thats what that hole does
if you choose to plug it up and use an israeli barrel spring, odds are you will have to pull the barrel out of the gun to mess with headspace.

· Registered
5 Posts
if you are using a square israeli type barrel retaining spring then you are going to want to keep the hole

the hole allows you to spread the israeli barrel spring away from the barrel enough so that you can rotate the barrel inside the gun. without the hole present the barrel retaining springs comes to rest against the left sideplate just before its moved out enough to disengage from the barrel notches

many will tell you to just use a usgi profile spring in your gun - i much prefer the israeli spring because it provides much more positive headspace retention, and most of the barrels i shoot with have israeli type spring notches. most of the caliber conversion barrels use the israeli spring

anyway - thats what that hole does
if you choose to plug it up and use an israeli barrel spring, odds are you will have to pull the barrel out of the gun to mess with headspace.

Great information. thank you guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.