1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what the status is regarding an original flamethrower
is this also by law a destructive device, and does these need a special permit.

it,s about a ww2 one, so not a new made piece that i have seen for sale.
any info would be appriciated, thanks, !!!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I don't think they are controlled.

I know they are expensive kits and a working unit can go for 1000's.

fwiw

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
my friend wanted a flame thrower and we were at the knob creek show. Saw a Chinese one that looked fully operational and asked about it. The seller said only paperwork required was the green kind in the amount of 2K !!!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
M2-2 units are large money if working. Earlier M1s that shoot gas are really only collector items as they are rare as hell and super dangerous. J

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Not NFA controlled. Look up the newly made ones for about $800. Those are manufactured in Michigan.
Great for controlling weeds and starting the BBQ.
Look for the Japanese version if you want a WWII original, then find the long curved "cave wand".
A friend of mine had one and it was super cool!
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hy Max, thanks for the info, i like the fact that these are not NFA controlled
sorry, no japanese, i need to check and verify, but most likely it,s US ww2
dont know the exact model, and need to check iff all accesoires are with it also
just by change, i run into one of these last week overhere.
iff i know more, i wil let it know for sure, might even post a few pic,s also
regards from across the big pond...

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
FSPRussia on Youtube has one made out of a 50 Cf SCUBA tank ,An HPA paintball bottle and the wand is made out of a pressure washer gun w/ propane torch ignition with the bottle remote mounted :cool: They are not really that difficult to make at all .

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
We recently purchased a LPO-50 Flamethrower.
It was imported out of Europe.
Other than the form 6 no special paperwork to bring it in thru US Customs.
The LPO-50 uses pyrotechnic charges for tank pressure, I don't think those can be imported.

Richard

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm in Calif. Probably one of the nastiest States in the U.S. They are not a controlled device here any longer . It is recommended you apply for a permit to own it if it is to be a functional unit.
The only permit required here is when you use it.
Like others have stated they are no longer considered or classified as a weapon of war or destructive device.
They are now considered a fire starter or agricultural burn unit.
This falls under Cal. Fire rules and regulations not the ATF.

Hope that helps

If you come across a M7 wand for a M9 Vietnam era set of tanks please send me a PM.
Actually if you come across a complete M2 wand or any wand parts for that matter for the WWll U.S. Flame thrower let me know I'm interested.

Thanks
GW

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have one of the new commercial ones made in Michigan. It in no way compares to a real military unit, but it is super fun and great for burning brush piles and political signs. Completely unregulated. No federal laws. Some state and a few local ordinances (Cali etc) My very tolerant wife was skeptical but couldn't wait to fire it once she saw it. Everyone that has seen it has been excited about it. Good fun.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In 1970 at Ft. Knox they were giving my basic class a demonstration of different weapons. The brought out a flamethrower and gave a demonstration with unthickened fuel. I don't know whether it was a malfunction or the wind shifted but they carted the gunner off in a ambulance. It made up my mind right then I wasn't going to volunteer to use one.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
In 1970 at Ft. Knox they were giving my basic class a demonstration of different weapons. The brought out a flamethrower and gave a demonstration with unthickened fuel. I don't know whether it was a malfunction or the wind shifted but they carted the gunner off in a ambulance. It made up my mind right then I wasn't going to volunteer to use one.
Nothing like having a couple tanks of napalm strapped to your back while in a war.
CaptMax

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Its like electrical work, most people are needlessly afraid of it. Obey the rules of safe handling and youll be ok. Ignore at your peril but sometimes $#!/ happens. Any safer than running around with 4 frags on your waist and 9 40mm HE in bandoleers around your guts? I figured it was a good likelihood I would get blown in half if I got hit. Just about crapped myself when one of my bandoleers failed jumping out the back of a HMMV and the 3pack of HE hit the deck at my feet. People gets freaked out about the burn thing but flash cooked from a blast is not much different or having your legs blown off beneath the knee. Just visually less spectacular. Flame thrower is an evil but proven useful weapon in the right hands. I guarantee the soldier on that training range was only minimally trained in using a bbq wand

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
rat_dogratty SEZ: "....new commercial ones made in Michigan.... in no way compare(s) to a real military unit, but it is super fun ...."

As kids we made them from everything like bottles of hairspray to agricultural sprayers, and had a "blast." These were probably some of the more innocuous things we did, but still not exactly safe. Never made any real trouble with these. Then there were the "zip guns," really rifles, and worse.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts