1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a lot (and I mean a lot) of anonymous, cryptic, erroneous emails from folks I don't know with all kinds of suspect questions. Just as an example, here's a private message I recently received on our website from someone not on our registered members list. We have a lot of new guys and I just wanted to toss out a caution on these things. All of us are willing to share information and our knowledge to help fellow gun builders, but eagerness may need to be tempered with discernment. I personally draw the line on queries like this.

Hi Loboslanding
Allow me to introduce myself.

I am a gun enthusiast in Australia. I am a 40 year old farmer in the outback. I am not into crime ( I have a rifle and pistol license- impossible to get over here if you have a police record) and I'm not in a bikie gang( the source of most illegal arms over here). I am not a cop trying to entrap you, and I'm not a mischief making anti gun journalist.

Now to my problem.

Would it be possible to build a 1919A4 full auto from scratch with a lathe, mill, MIG, ARC and oxy/acet set? Bear in mind that I cannot get any kits/parts over here. I can get a 308 bbl (would 4140 steel be OK for sustained firing?) and I can also get 308 chamber reamers.

What CD or book would give the most detail in regard to machinist drawings,material specifications and heat treatment?

The weakest link(OK, an old joke I know)would be the links or belts. Neither are available here.Would it be possible to make the metal links with the right sheetmetal machinery? How about making the canvas belts with an industrial sewing machine?

OK, you're probably asking "Why go to all this bother?" Well for a gun enthusiast the Australian laws are a bit limiting. I'm just taking my hobby to its next step. I guess if I was a car enthusiast I would make a hot rod or restore a 1959 Caddillac Eldorado.

I can assure you that I am not intending to create mayhem or a massace.

Looking foward to hearing your views, suggetions and advice.

If my e-mails are a bit delayed it's lack of access to a public computer.

Regards
XXXX from down under.

Hello XXXX.
I can't help you. Fabricating a full auto weapon is not legal in the US or Australia (as far as I know) so I don't give advice on doing something illegal.
lobo

I'm sorry that fellow gun enthusiasts don't live in the good ole USA where we enjoy a certain level of freedom and tolerance for our passion, but I also can't help where they live...which of course could be Iraq, Iran, Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, N. Korea, blah, blah, blah.

·
Registered
169 Posts
WOW:eek: that's crazy
No really, I thought this was a sign up for the next tupperware party:D KIDDING
mcj600

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Wow - I guessing you just got the attention of every member, non-member, watchdog group, spy group, and secret government agency lurking on this website Lobo! I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I am sure we all agree with your motive. Let's be careful what we say to people that email and/or message us, and by no means even consider discussing or helping someone in manufacturing any kind of illegal weapons. Period!

·
Registered
52 Posts
My hat's off to you lobo. I know that you are 1000% law abiding and that has come through clearly on all of your posts.

I am curious about who this individual is. The speculation I heard is interesting. My own opinion is that the writer is someone with a ban the firearms agenda. Thanks for not giving them ammunition.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
LobosLanding,

I am from Austria and I also can not get parts kits. Gun laws here are restrictive too, but I am not a criminal. Can you help me build an full auto 1919 with duck tape, show strings and ATF manual pages? I plan to use the shoe strings to make the links/belts for the bullets. The duck tape and Manual pages will be used to form the body of the gun. Extra shoot stings will be attached to the bolt handle and the trigger to make it full auto. Can you please send me plans of how I am make this illegal gun? If I take a while getting back to you its because I have to go talk to a prosecutor:confused:

Give me a break! Either that guy is ATF/Antigun or just stupid! He just wanted you to help him do something illegal. After all, those that know that much, know where to get what he was asking for, without your help!:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Yeah sounds funny to me

Yeah sounds funny to me... Kinda like those Emails that say my name is mutoki bubozo from nigeria I need help to get 1 million dollars out of my country. Just send me your bank info and I will give you a cut...

Doesn't sound smart enough to be a government agent must just be a dumba$$... Seriously my shooting buddy has been trying to get some screenprinting equipment sold and he keeps getting those fake checks from nigeria he has about 100,000 $ in fake photo copied checks on his glory wall we always turn the fakes in but make photo copies first its kinda fun...

Hey Lobo you should Email him and let him know theres plenty of FA's in Iraq for him to play with just enlist in the Aussie army....:D

P.S. Lobo if you post my stupid building question up here just don't use my name;)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Another way to look at it is; what if the guy really is just an enthusiast living in place where guns are not allowed. Many of you on the coasts can certainly sympathize, California for example.

A few things scare me about that message:

1. People in the 1st world really are living under the boot of an out of control restrictive government.

2. I doubt that "gun enthusiasts" here in the U.S. would come close to stopping similiar restrictions.

Seriously, who here would go underground? Don't answer:D Is this just a cute hobby for folks that don't have anything better to do? Or is it a celebration, a reaffirmation of a commitment to the security and continued freedom of Americans? Are we just guys screwing off with guns? Or are we the real homeland security?

Sure it could be just some anti-gun whack'o, or it could be some poor son of a ***** that can no longer prevent his wife from being gang raped, children from being killed, property from being destroyed, or country from falling into the hands of an even crazier set rulers.

If it is anti-gunners from across the ocean, then we should thank them, maybe their unintended message of what happens when people are turned into defensless prey won't go totally ignored here.

I would think that a machinist(?) with the level of skill, and access to the tools required to take on said project, could easily manufacture something of his own design. Also remember that we have a guy from Australia, or England, here who made a non-shooter complete from scratch(All aluminum if I remember).

Didnt the Japs make a 1919 knock-off? I remember seeing pictures of stuff the VC put together like 1911's and Thompsons made from junk.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lobo, ask the site admin if he can pull down the IP address from that message. It is possible for him to find out the location of the server with that info. Wouldn't it be interesting if the server's URL ended in .gov???:D :D

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
As much stuff as hes not allowed to have, are you sure hes not a Kalifornian instead.

·
Registered
759 Posts
WTF? How do you relate this to Kali? NO ONE can legally build a FA 1919 unless they had the parts and licenses.

We in Kali can build semi 1919's all day long, just like anyone else.:rolleyes:

I know we deal with the likes of Frankenswine but jeez, you guys make it sound like we can't have anything.

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
Well lets see, i have 100 NIW 30 rnd mags for M16, do you think i can LEGALLY ship them to you? Can you leaglly buy links or 225 rnd belts? This is how i related this to Kali and Ausy. I was just kiddin round, loosen up.

·
Registered
670 Posts
DOUBLE8 said:
Well lets see, i have 100 NIW 30 rnd mags for M16

Shoot me a PM or email and let me know the price and make. I can probably move allot of them for you, I've had about a dozen guy's ask me for mags in the last 2 days!:eek:

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Shoestring

What I'd do is ask him to send me a Western Union Telegram Money order of $10,000 and I'd send him an "authorised" method of making a f/a firearm. After cashing the funds and waiting about two months I'd send the ATF "Shoestring" letter and tell him where to buy some KIWI shoestrings, locally!

Ever heard of the "Nigerian 4-1-9 scam letter? This guy is a scam -- turn him into the "scam-a-lamb."

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
I already sold all the mags, i was just usin that as an example.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hey, does anybody know where I can get some Uranium 235? (It's for some kids science project, I swear........)

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
I get people come here to my shop askin questions like that from time to time "Cant i make this full auto by......" I tell them its 10 yrs to do it and i am not gonna take part in teaching them. Then they want to know how i own them, told one guy i did my ten yrs for each one and once i got out of prison i got the gun back, seeing how i paid for it by doin my time, im only 33 so he knew i was kiddin.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
if the idiot had 1/2 a brain

(which i doubt form the post that he does) he could figure it out in an hour reading through the site. just read everything we do to build a legal semi and then don't do any of it. you'l have a f/a :)

moron

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to see such a lively discussion and it looks like the message got across.

I don't really care where the guy lives and sometimes probing or poking around can come around and bite you on the butt...internet trails typically cut both ways. Ever since the tutorials and openly promoting build parties, you'd be surprised how many probing emails I get from regions unknown so I try to keep a low profile without compromising my advocation for our sport.

We have a lot of members that are very active in helping new builders and this post was just a red flag that many may start getting stuff like this too.

Is it from an idiot or is it a misguided enthusiast or is it a media trap...who knows? I sincerely doubt it's ATF because I'm sure they've already profiled me and they know where to find me.

Thx for listening.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts