1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended a local sheriffs annual qualifying event in 1990. That was the last time I shot this Lewis gun.

Recently I uncovered a 97 rnd drum that I knew I had never used. I had stored the gun with the main spring relaxed, so when I got into the field, I set it for just over 12 on the Lewis guns gadget, ran a patch through the well worn but bright barrel, squirted some of my oil mix into the mechanism under the feed shuttle device. The Lewis bipod is a gigantic fumble. The legs flop almost as if they had a mind of their own. More like no mind at all. The stance is at least 6" short of being wide enough. Anyway, the adjusting I felt necessary was accomplished. Since I forgot to bring the front AA sight for use with the tall drum, it was guess and go shooting. Observe and correct.....guess most belly down MG shooting is pretty much the same.

Before fielding, I disassembled the drum as it looked as if it had been stored next to a sand blaster. Or in it. Probably volcanic dust from Iwo Jima.!!!??? (Wonder if I can make that one stick.???) Loaded it and three 47s from a bucket of mixed Brit., American and unknown ammo I found in the basement, probably what I had at the sheriffs event 30 years ago. To the field............

Bolt back, drum on.........assume the position, pull the trigger......schlonk......bolt closed on nothing. Apparently I dont remember how to get the first round into the necessary position, any help on that?? Cycle, pull trigger........pop,pop,pop, about 6-8 times, gun stopped. Cocking handle is over halfway back, all fired rnds ejected. Even if the bolt had come back far enough to pick up the next round, I doubt it would have had enuff oomph to chamber and fire it. Guess I wont ever know because the next 10 stoppages were exactly the same. Pull the bolt on back to the sear, fire 6-8-10rnds., stop with the bolt in the same place. OK.....47 rnd, drum......ran without a hitch.........not even a stumble. Donna ran the other two through. Now, the gun had blown out its cobwebs. Back to the remaining rnds in the 97 drum.......nope.....same thing. I reloaded the 47s. Now they wouldnt run. Threw in the towel.

Clean up time the next morning.....I had trouble getting the bolt out. It seemed caught on the ejector. Removed that. Nope, there was a significant burr inside the receiver at the back of the slot for the ejector. ?????? I have a selection of small files as most everyone does. A square one made short work of the burr, bolt now slides in and out freely. I just cant think that little bit of resistance would cause the problems. I also found out that every gas fitting in the whole system was loose and leaking. All would tighten another half turn and be ok, but cant assemble the gun that way. I changed barrels. That just happened to tighten up the first connection. The adjusting screw with its S & L markings needed a .010 gasket to be tight. The gas tube itself seems to be only snug where it is supposed to be. Probably not leak proof, but I fixed the bad ones. First picture is of rare monkey-ward or snears-rareback Lewis gun carrying case.

Ready ??? for back to the field.

PJH
DSC00321.JPG
DSC00322.JPG
DSC00323.JPG
DSC00326.JPG
DSC00334.JPG
DSC00337.JPG
DSC00338.JPG

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
glad to see you got it out.

even if it didnt run perfect, its good to clear its throat a little.

so are you thinking the spring is tired?

or just that burr & non use was the hang up?

·
11,184 Posts
and for the rest of you complaining about the new format, PJ has figured out how to get photos in his posts so, there is hope of all of you!

looks like a fun gathering... what is the next gun to bring out of the dungeon for the first time in 20+ years??

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Beautiful gun! It's funny how much taller that 97 round drum is from the standard 47s. Almost like it should hold 3x as many rounds, not just double.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts