1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a few of these with 7-drum mags. These are single-drum pouches....first time I've seen them. Believe they are WW1 and are marked but not dated and with broad arrow,believe to be British. Anyone notice the maker...? Need confirmation of my findings.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
C'mon guy's...!! Someone here should be able to identify these drum pouch's. I've already checked Segel's book and nothing in the Brit,Ausy,U.S. or even the Jap Lewis section.

·
Premium Member
8,247 Posts
Len, they do look WWI but I just got my first Lewis so I have much to learn about the history and accessories. Do you have a copy of the Belgian rattlesnake?

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep...will have to look this PM. Also saw a reference that there was a Brit pouch made for the Thompson that looked very similar. These are WW1,as I also saw that the 1917 Lewis pouch was tipping forward,so the Brits removed a lower sewn piece,raised it higher and made these for 1918. A couple of these I got were this type,as you can see where the piece was removed and re-positioned.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
....LOL..and they are MY pouch's,as I possess them and they are plural,(ie) not in the singular...because I have more than one.

"O ye of little faith"

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Google this search term and some info comes up. Dont know if its what you want but IMA sold some and other people have info on it.

WWII Lewis machine gun pouches round

Try also WW1 because Google corrected me to WW11
WWI Lewis machine gun pouches round

Of course don't trust anything IMA says

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Searched "Belgium Rattlesnake" book on the Lewis gun and found several types of the Lewis drum pouch. The Japs used a 3-drum canvas pouch with a harness for shoulder carry and all the other canvas items were for 2-drums. Did not see a single drum pouch anywhere in my quick search.

Have the US 6-drum wood carry case and the metal box to carry 8-drums,2-of each 2-drum in the canvas case per side. Apparently there was a single drum pouch made...see post #4...and it was discussed on a Brit web site with photo's of the 3-4 types made,with changes, for WW1.

Never having seen one myself...and apparently no one here has either...the ones I have will be for display with the 1917 carts in museums. I intend to display the 5-guns in the US military inventory as of 6 April 1917 when the US was the last major power to enter WW1. The 1904 Maxim,1909 Benet-Mecier,1915 Lewis gun,1915 Colt-Vickers and the 1917 Browning,all in 30/06. The 1895 Colt "potato-digger' was improved as the 1914 Colt,but most had been issued to National Guard units and calvary units when the Guard was established in 1907 by Teddy Roosevelt as the later machine guns became available.

If anyone has further info,please feel free to add to this thread or give me a PM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts