·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many rounds can be put through a 30-06 barrel? :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Somewhere around 12 to 15k in an air cooled.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any chrome lined 30-06 barrels out there? Or is the .308's the only ones?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Chrome lined 30-06 barrels

I don't know if anyone sells them but they were made. I have one in my gun. These may have been made for the M37 guns only or possibly just a late issue item. As far as I know most 1919A6 barrels were chrome also, at least all of them I have seen.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
I have one A6 barrel and it's chrome, otherwise the A4 barrels are not usually chromed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many more rounds would the A6 barrel be able to take than the A4?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
If you have a copy of FM 23-55 July 1965 Page 14 shows an M37 disassembled and the muzzle end of the barrel definitely looks chromed. In fact it looks just like the barrel in my A4. Since the M37 was around somewhat longer than the A4 they may have made these barrels only for them (they are the same barrel however). The chrome barrel is a lot easier to clean, both the bore and the muzzle end. I wish the booster was also chromed inside like the inside of most A6 flashhiders. I think M37's were later converted to 7.62 NATO but this barrel is definitely a 30-06. I got it at a gun show at a very low price but that was 12 years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
A chrome lined barrel will go upwards of 40k.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have a friend that did extensive testing for the govm't on bbls. Continuious burst until rounds pierced the top of the bbl due to drooping(M2HB's). Too many variables to list Ie types of bbls, ammo etc. But a chrome semi A4 bbl should last several tens of thousand rounds using ball ammo and proper cleaning and cooling intervals. I will see him soon in August and try to get a little better intel. But if I remember correctly bbl piercing occured on the M2 around 50-60 yards of linked ammo continuous burst.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
This brings up another question. Has anyone ever seen a stelite (sp) barrel for a .30 Cal BMG? I think I have seen them advertised a long time ago. How do you identify them? I know they had them for the M60, maybe even all M60's.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have several stellite lined barrels, in both A6 and A4.

Chrome can be deceptive. Some A4 barrels are chromed only on the bearing seat area, but not in the chamber or bore. I am currently making a list of all the characteristics of A4/A6 barrels by maker and part number (and date, if any).

It is a project that will take several years, so don't ask.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have a Stellite lined barrell in 30.06 NOS condition for my 1919a4. Stellite lined barrels are supposed to last about 50k rounds from what I have read and heard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts