1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1919 and I am having some issues with it. I'm thinking it might be link problem. Can anyone confirm. Are 8mm and 308 links different?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
There are no links specifically made for 8mm, at least that I know of. Possible some European countries made some, but they would be impossible and totally unnecessary to track down. 8mm works fine in both the Israeli 308 links and the USGI 30-06 ones. I suggest the USGI, but either will work.

What are the symptoms of your issue? What is the gun doing, or not doing? The possible solution will depend on the problem. Is it failing to feed the belt in properly? Failing to extract a round from the belt? Or failing to feed a round into the chamber after extraction from the belt? Or is it something different? What type right rear cartridge stop do you have, Izzy 308 or USGI style? Pics will help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are no links specifically made for 8mm, at least that I know of. Possible some European countries made some, but they would be impossible and totally unnecessary to track down. 8mm works fine in both the Israeli 308 links and the USGI 30-06 ones. I suggest the USGI, but either will work.

What are the symptoms of your issue? What is the gun doing, or not doing? The possible solution will depend on the problem. Is it failing to feed the belt in properly? Failing to extract a round from the belt? Or failing to feed a round into the chamber after extraction from the belt? Or is it something different? What type right rear cartridge stop do you have, Izzy 308 or USGI style? Pics will help.
It is not always stripping the round out of the links. Going to try shooting it again this week and confirm again what it's doing.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
If you manually cycle the bolt what happens? Also what is the diameter of the hole on the booster?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
It is not always stripping the round out of the links. Going to try shooting it again this week and confirm again what it's doing.
If the belt is feeding in properly, so that a round is centered in the feedway and under the extractor, there are two likely possibilities, maybe three. One, check to see if the ammo is short enough in OAL to slide fore and aft in the feedway. This design relies on the nose of the projo contacting the front of the feedway and positioning the case rim as far to the rear as possible. Short rounds can slide forward, leaving the rim out of reach of the extractor claw. Second, the extractor claw may be worn, or damaged. To be clear, this is not the sprung "hook" part that is properly called the ejector. I refer to the claw milled into the body of the extractor, underneath, where it rests on the casing in the feedway. If it is visibly asymmetrical, that is likely your problem. A third thing to look at is the flat leaf, or "Cover Extractor Spring" in the top cover. If the section that interacts with the extractor is particularly flat in profile, rather than having a slight arch to it, then replace it with a new one. Or, try bending it so as to restore some tension there. See if any of these things apply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts