1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Maxim kit. Need to get it built. Too many kits, too little time. I did get all the semi parts from Midwest metal creations, so its not that big a job.

I'm asking now because I see cloth belts for sale. Anyway, I have LOTS of 54R metal link belts for my PKM and SG43. Will these run in a maxim? Or do i need the cloth belt?

Karl

·
Registered
148 Posts
Any PKM, SG43 links, or riveted Finnish Maxim links work fine. I've tried cloth belts through my Midwest semi and they are finicky, plus a lot harder to load by hand.

Coltman15

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everybody. I'll let the cloth belt offer slide on by.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hi Karl - kind of depends on how much you are going to shoot - the belt loaders out there work best on the metal belts with an open side - the solid round metal belts do not feed through my PKM type loader . The used cloth belts are fairly easy to load by hand - but I shoot 2500 rds in a weekend through my 1910 maxim, ( real one) and the SG43 type belts work well.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
A bit more information. The Finn made belts are very sturdy and strong and have no open side. They are entirely of sheet metal construction and the Finn loaders are made specifically for the Finn belts. The Russian and Polish loaders are designed for SG and PK belts. These loaders require the belts with the open side for the indexing lug to either push a newly loaded link along or pass through the open side so the belt does not advance until a round is inserted. This design is excellent and extremely practical. These loaders are easily found to purchase. The Russian loader is all sheet metal, rounds can be loaded into the hopper with either end forward as the loader automatically orients the round with the slug forward as the rounds are cranked into position for being pushed into the link. They are stored in a very compact pinewood box, usually green painted. Few other loaders are as cleverly designed as the Russian. The Polish loaders imported into the US can be a bit cantankerous, but also can be worked around to loading reliably. They are different than the Russian types and are excellent as well. I prefer the Russian loaders.
The metal belts are excellent for the 1910s as noted above and are cheap and plentiful.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Just to add to Bob's post above, I have a Finnish and the Polish version, to put it mildly the Finnish loader is much more time consuming to use. The Polish loader I have worked fine out of the box, got lucky there just took a bit of time cleaning the storage grease from it when the loader first arrived.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the belt loader advice, I need to watch for one. Right now I just got the SG43 and I don't shoot it much. I'm HOT to get the PKM built, but I'm still waiting on parts.

The DShK should be ready to run in about a week. I need to decide if i should get back to the FN38 or maybe do the Maxim. I could get it done before harvest starts, the two FN38s and FN32, no way.

Too many projects. If I could just quit working for a living there would be enough time.

karl

·
Registered
704 Posts
A bit more information. The Finn made belts are very sturdy and strong and have no open side. They are entirely of sheet metal construction and the Finn loaders are made specifically for the Finn belts.
Yes but to point out that you can also use the Finn loader for the SG and PK belts and work great, but they are just a pinch more finicky than the Finn belts. But its super easy to clear an alignment jamb and the loader is over built bomb proof. Besides being slower to load than the Russian, the only down side is you have to have a very stable table to screw or bolt it to work off. Clamping it will work its self loose in no time and the forces ramming it back and forth will knock everything over so a pop up table not a good idea unless very heavily loaded. I think the Finn belts are supperoir in every way. PK belts act like chains whipping around where as the Finn belts act like tank treads and stay guided. The Finn belts and loader will last forever so its worth using a Finn loader and it will build up your arms too, why not load and work out at the same time. One extra loader assistant dropping rounds speeds things up a lot when you get the rhythm going but still not as fast as the Russian loader by yourself. Still I like the Finn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts